cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Keycode message when adding reports in vs2008 solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having this problem with Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008. Whenever I try to add a report to the solution I get the classic "Invalid Keycode" message and even though the report is there, I can't edit it at all. I've seen in other posts that it might have something to do with previous versions of CR I have installed, but I uninstalled the 8.5 and 10 versions I had on my machine, re-installed VS2008 and still get the same message. It seems that the version has not registered since no activation key is associated with CR Basic in the IDE's About section. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What edition of Visual Studio .NET 2008 are you using? If it is anything lower than Professional it shouldn't come with Crystal Reports and may be part of your issue.

That error is usually caused when the keycode.dll is not registered. Look for keycode.dll in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\2.8\bin then register it with regsvr32.exe.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry you all, I obviously left out some crucial information ...

My solution is an ASP.NET one using VS2008 Professional Edition, I'm making references to 10.5.3700.0 assemblies of Crystal Decisions and the reports are not conversions from previous versions. One other point I should mention: I have another solution in ASP.NET that uses Crystal Reports Basic and although I can't edit any of the reports a colleague has created, the solution compiles. I have tried registering the keycode.dll like David said but same result.

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check in the registry to see if the keycode is written there:

HKLM\software\business objects\10.5\crystal reports\CR Ent

The keycode should be in the right hand pane, next to "default"

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The key was not created during the VS2008 installation. I've un-installed all previous versions(8.5 and 10) of Crystal Reports and re-installed VS2008 but this didn't work either. I've seen the key on some of my colleagues machines but there is some sort of signature associated with the user and copying it to my registry didn't do the trick ...

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It looks like you'll need to do a little manual cleaned up to get this to work.

- Remove Crystal Reports Basic by modifying your Visual Studio .NET 2008 install (Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel)

- Next ... go into your registry and completely delete your HKML\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\10.5 key.

- Restart

- Add Crystal Reports Basic to your system again

If you really want to scrub your system of Crystal Reports Basic make sure you delete these directories after you clean up your registry.

- Crystal Reports directory under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0

- 2.8 directory from C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common.

Hopefully it works for you this time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Made a thorough cleanup of the registry and repositories after un-install and got CR BASIC finally registered.

Thanks again,

Alain

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alain,

Are you upgrading the report from previous versions to the CR Basic for VS 2008(CR 10.5).

Please let us know the issue in detail.

Thanks,

Prasad Kanchan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Alain;

Which versions of the Crystal Assemblies have been added to your project?

Regards,

Jonathan