cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOE XI 3.0 multiple non-clustered CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to have more than one CMS on a server that are not clustered?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a proof of concept for an internal agency that administers their own BOE XI R2 servers and due to budget crunches they are considering using the BOE XI 3.0 server provided to the entire organization. The main problem is that they don't want to loose the Administrative control that they currently have, but they cannot be granted Administrative access to all other agencies objects, groups, ect... I have discussed with them the delegated administrators that is now available with 3.0, but they are skeptical that they can be granted sufficient rights to do what they need (i.e. Import Dynamic Prompts from Test). I have very limited experience myself as we just upgraded from XI R1 to XI 3.0 in August this year. My thought was that maybe we could give them Administrator rights on their own CMS.

Thank you for the quick response.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Well an easier way to accomplish this may be to install a free program like vmserver and set up 2 different OS's although this is not recommended if you are going to hit the server hard (like production). In that case you really should have 2 different servers.

But for a test system to play around with it would make more sense and be easier to manage.

If you create a new SIA/CMS then you will also need all the reporting servers/etc and have to avoid port conflicts on the server. You should be able to do this too although I don't think our product is documented/tested this way.

Another optioon in 3.0 is the new delegated administrator function where you can build a specific access level in the CMC to provide small groups the ability to administer their own objects (folders, universes, reports, users, etc) I think I'd try this way 1st

Regards,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. I will try the delegated administrator access.

Thanks again

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I think you can create a new SIA/CMS and point it to a different DB. What are you trying to do. This doesn't seem like a good idea?

Regards,

Tim