cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI Install - ABAP Support Packs + J2EE Support Package install

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am wondering what is recommended sequence for installing/upgrading kernel, ABAP Support Packages & J2EE Support Packages for XI installation.

Should we install/upgrade kernel, ABAP Support Packages & J2EE Support Packages before XI 3.0 is installed? Or should we install these only after installing and completing post install steps of XI 3.0.

The Web AS install guide recommends to install the patches immediately after installing it, but prerequisite for XI install is Web AS SR1 i.e SP9(ABAP + J2EE.

Any suggestions in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Chandu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

Follow the OSS Note 750511.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shravan,

Thanks for the response.

I have already gone through the note. According to the note, I assume the following sequence has to be followed:

Install SAP Web AS (ABAP)

Install SAP Web AS (Java)

XI Install & post install steps

Support Pack Stack for ABAP & Java

XI Patches

However, when carrying out post install steps after XI installation, I am unable to perform some steps. Also, there is an issue with J2EE engine after XI install.

Further, I have installed and completed post install steps as per following successfully:

Install SAP Web AS (ABAP)

Install SAP Web AS (Java)

XI Install

Support Pack Stack for ABAP & Java

Post install steps

XI Patches

What are the implications of applying ABAP & Java patches before XI install or before completing post install steps.

Regards

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are no implications. I have done this plenty of times with no problems. But make sure that you do not apply ABAP packages in one queue, what I mean is lets say you are on SP 9 do not select all the SPs at one time (until SP15). It is better to apply single SP of a component (ABAP / BASIS / BW / PI_BASIS) at a time.

The other thing is after doing all these carry out the Kernel Upgrade and frontend GUI upgrade too.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shravan,

Thanks for clarifying the point. But, when should I complete post install XI steps?

Regards,

Chandu

Message was edited by: Chandu Cheeti

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the service marketplace, go to Download >> SAP Support Packages >> My Company's Application Components >> SAP NetWeaver >> SAP NetWeaver 04. Click on the documentation next to the SP 15 and it explains on how to apply all the support packages. In short, you will have to download the following files and decompress them (SAPCAR).

1) SAPINST<SP>.SAR and CTRL<DB><SP>.SAR

2) J2EERT<SP>.SAR

3) J2EERTOS<SP>.SAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is my process which has worked for me.

1) Install DB

2) Patch up DB

3) Install NetWeaver SR-1 ABAP CI

4) Install NetWeaver SR-1 Java add-on

5) Upgrade Kernel to target SP

6) Apply Basis SP's

7) Apply ABAP SP's

😎 Upgrade PI_BASIS to most recent Version and SP level

9) Apply target SP level to the Java add-on

10) Configure system to make ready for the XI install

11) Perform Client Copy

12) Install XI

13) Configure XI

14) Upgrade XI

0 Kudos

Myn is Win2000 Adv Server & Oracle 9.x,installed the same ,how to put the patches like java ,Already put the ABAP patches .,its Very urgent,i know its through SDM,and somebody said its through sapinst.,Could u all please briefly evaluate my answer.

Thanks

kanthm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Buddy,

It's always safer to do it later. I've come across few colleagues who claim having faced no problem but at times you may land up in trouble.

1. First install ABAP + J2ee (add-in) system.

2. Complete all WAS preparations for XI

3. Install XI

4. Perform all post-installation activities for XI.

5. Now apply SPs for ABAP, Java and then XI.

This is STRONGLY recommended.

Regards,

Youvraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Youraj,

I tried both the type of installation on our sandpit and dev environment. From my experience, I prefer following sequence:

1. First install ABAP + J2ee (add-in) system.

2. Complete all WAS preparations for XI

3. Install XI

4. Apply SPs for ABAP, Java

4. Perform all post-installation activities for XI.

5. XI Patches

Regards

Chandu