cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystalras.exe consuming 100% CPU usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

When we try to open an instance of one of our Crystal reports from InfoView, the crystalras.exe process runs at 100% CPU usage and the report never shows up. After a few minutes, we get the following message:

The request timed out because there has been no reply from the server for 600,000 milliseconds.

Does anyone know where the problem could come from? Could this be because the report is retrieving too much data?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

There could be multiple possible causes for the RAS to not reply in a timely manner.

What happens if you select the "DHTML viewer" instead of the "Advanced DHTML viewer", so that the report uses Page Server instead of RAS? Do you get the same issue? This test would give you a yardstick for performance of the reports you're trying to run.

If reports refresh quickly on the Page Server but not RAS, then I'd say you have an interesting issue.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried what you did and this time, the pageserver.exe process is the one to consume 100% CPU usage and I am still not able to view the instance.

Does that mean that there is something wrong with the report since we are able to open other reports' instances without any problem?

Thank you again for your help.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

That does indicate the problem is the report or connectivity.

Do you have CR designer on the server, can you test from there? this will verify connectivity

After that you will likely need to trace the pageserver/rasserver to find out what's happening.

To do this I'd recommend opening a message with support

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response but I am a bit confused now. How could this be a connectivity issue since we are only trying to open the instance of a report that was successfully run a few days ago? The data should already be stored in the report, shouldn't it?

Many thanks again for your help on this.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

sorry missed the word "instance" in the original post, picked up on ras/page and timeout.

In that case if no DB call is being made then I'm not really sure. Can you open the instance in Crystal Reports?

It coiuld be a limit on the report in the CMC/server page/cache server settings. Or maybe the instance is just corrupt for some reason.

Have you attempted to trace the RAS or page/cache when viewing?

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are able to open the instance in Crystal Reports without any issue but not in InfoView. We have tried in two different environments (XI R2 SP1 and XI R2 SP2) and the problem is the same.

Indeed, it could be a limit in one of the servers' settings. Regarding the Crystal Page Server, I have already tried to add "-MaxDbResultRecords 0" to the command line but it didn't change anything - pageserver.exe would still use 100% CPU and the report wouldn't show up in InfoView.

What do you mean by "trace" a server? Could you please be more specific?

Thank you for your help.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You would have to stop the server(s) being traced and add -trace to the command line.

logs would show up in the boinstall\boe115\logging directory

-Tim

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Emmanuel,

Just to close out possible data source issues, are the reports going against Business Views or Universes? Do you have Processing Extensions specified for the reports?

Also, when you checked in the Crystal Reports Designer, was it Designer installed on the same machine where the page server and RAS server is running?

Also, since it affects both Page Server and RAS, it may require CRPE traces to get to the bottom of this (CRPE - 'creepy' - is the CR engine used by both the Page and RAS server).

But at that level, since crpe traces are difficult to read, it may be good to open a SAP Incident and engage support.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Both,

I traced the RAS server as suggested by Tim and obtained a log that - I have to admit - is quite difficult for me to understand. Could I send it to one of you for examination? Thanks in advance.

Ted, please find below my answers to your questions:

Just to close out possible data source issues, are the reports going against Business Views or Universes?

The report is based on Business Views.

Do you have Processing Extensions specified for the reports?

Sorry but what are Processing Extensions?

Also, when you checked in the Crystal Reports Designer, was it Designer installed on the same machine where the page server and RAS server is running?

Yes, it is installed on the same machine.

Also, since it affects both Page Server and RAS, it may require CRPE traces to get to the bottom of this (CRPE - 'creepy' - is the CR engine used by both the Page and RAS server).

I will certainly open a case with SAP to have them help me on that.

Thank you both for your help. It is very appreciated.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Business Views will add a level of complexity to this issue, since it'll be checking view-time security, even if it doesn't ultimately connect back to the database itself.

Definitely agree you should open up a SAP ticket.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just opened a case with SAP.

Thank you for all your help and I will keep you posted on this.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was there a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issue.

Patrick