cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nr of processors in License key

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We momentarily have a license key, with ## number of users, but for only 1 processor (Never requested, but default I suppose?).

Our BO system is installed on a server with 4 cpu's (processors). Version: BO XI R2 SP4,

My question: Should we perhaps request a License key for 4 processors to fully utilize our systems resources?? If anyone could enlighten me about this License key detail (number of processors), I would appreciate it!

Thanks for your time!

Kind regards,

Frode

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Frode,

This actually depends on the negotiations your company had with the Business Objects sales rep.

However, you normally need a license for each processor in your server (separate cores count as separate processors). Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Kristof Speeckaert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer Kristof!

But I still wonder if a license with 4 processors would have any impact (improvement) on our current system? Would it make any difference in terms of system performance, or is it just a matter of cosmetic contract details??

Regards,

Frode

Former Member
0 Kudos

The license doesn't actually change how many processors that BO Enterprise will use. The number specified in the license portion of the CMC only indicates how much CPU's you paid for.

Something we typically see with our customers is that they have an agreement with Business Objects, where they specify that only 2 of their 4 cpu's (or cores) will be used (because it's usually more expensive to buy a dual-core than a quad-core CPU). It is then up to the customer to make sure that this is enforced. If they don't, they are in violation with the license agreement.

As far as I know, this isn't feasible when running a Windows OS on the server. I've been told that you can limit this in Unix (possibly Linux) environments.

Kind regards,

Kristof Speeckaert

Former Member
0 Kudos

A 4 CPU license would have no impact whatsoever on the performance of your deployment.

However, as Kristof said, you are in violation of the Business Objects license if you use a single CPU license on a multiple CPU machine.

I've been told that you can limit this in Unix (possibly Linux) environments.

Cores/CPUs can be disabled on Unix/Linux , but not Windows.

Edited by: Srinivas Ganapathi on Oct 7, 2008 3:24 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your helpful answers! I think I get the point now and I will look into it, to assure we don't violate any BO agreements, like you suggest might be the case here!

Kind regards,

Frode