cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export to PDF error with embedded font

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i have added a Barcode font to a report and it is failing to export to PDF now saying it that the "font is not allowed to be embedded in document". i have tried with two different Barcode fonts A39W and C39W and both fail.

I have looked at forums which suggested downloading patches and updating the registry key ForceLargerFonts to 1, however this has not worked in either V9, V10 or V11.

Can anyone help??

Many thanks,

Hugh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

patrick_genest
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Hugh,

When exporting to PDF format, it embed the font your report use in the PDF document.

If the fonts can't be embedded due to security set on it, you will be getting the error message:

"font is not allowed to be embedded in document"

And this is normal behavior as a PDF document by definition needs to look the same regardless of where you view it, and this is why fonts are embedded in the document as one computer may have it, but not the next one.

To be able to export your report to PDF format with the bar code font, you will have to contact the font provider and request a copy of the font without this security.

Regards,

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same problem, except with the

Frutiger 45 Light font. When I try to export the report from Crystal Preview to PDF I get the error,

++++++++++

Failed to export the report.

Frutiger 45 Light - Font is not allowed to be embedded in document.

+++++++++++

I'm using CR Developer, Full, version 11.0.0.1282

I've checked in Windows XP and can see the font (a ttf) present with the other fonts installed on my PC in the Fonts folder accessed via the Control Panel in Windows. I can right-click on the font Frutiger 45 Light and see the Properties page for the Font. For all the Groups/Users I can see all the Permissions enabled except for Special Permissions.

I dont know what you mean by getting the security changed from the supplier of the font to allow embedding into the PDF?

My colleague was able to perform the same export from Crystal to PDF on his laptop, but it was an older laptop. So there must be a difference between the way our laptops are configured that is causing the problem. The version of CR is the same on both laptops the only obvious difference we can see is that the older laptop has Adobe version 6 installed and the new laptop has Adobe version 7, both machines have Distiller installed. He's now got an upgraded laptop and is getting the same error as I am.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Regards

Robert.

Edited by: robert stannard on Dec 1, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've done some more investigating on this issue and found that the fonts installed on my new laptop were "locked". You can see this if you open Acrobat Distiller and check the Fonts settings. You can see a padlock next to the Frutiger fonts.

I checked the fonts on my colleagues laptop and found that he didnt have this padlock next to his fonts. I then deleted the fonts from my machine and copied those from his machine to my machine.

The export from Crystal Reports now works fine.

I suggest that this problem is a licensing issue and that Frutiger fonts - and fonts showing a similar problem as mentioned in the first post of this thread - need to get a license in order to be able to be embedded into PDF documents.

Regards

Robert.

Edited by: robert stannard on Dec 1, 2008 2:52 PM