Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to programmatically change username and password of data connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Crystal Reports 2008 Dev

Crystal Reports Server 2008

I would like to be able to modify the database username and password of a Data Connection.

This query returns the Data Connection data:

select 
from ci_appobjects 
where SI_KIND = 'MetaData.DataConnection'

What I am intereseted in changing are the 'fields':

SI_METADATA_PROPERTIES.SI_METADATA_BVCONN_USERNAME

and

SI_METADATA_PROPERTIES.SI_METADATA_BVCONN_PASSWORD

When I opened this topic:

Link:

The consensus was that it is possible to write a program that would scan through the repository and change the username and passwords of Data Connections

I have now found this topic:

Link:

And it seems to says that the 'properties' of the Data Connectons that I need to change are not visible to API, and therefore are only changeable via COM SDK

(on Diamond SDK reference there is no info attached to the COM SDK links - the chm files have nothing in them)

Is it possible to change the data in the USERNAME and PASSWORD fields?

Ideally I would like to do it thru Java, but any method at all would suffice at this stage.

Best regards and thanks

Patrick Coote

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

Here's more info:

1. The Enterprise Java SDK InfoObject class for the MetaData.DataConnection SI_KIND isn't part of the public API.

2. The Universe Designer SDK (look in http://boc.sdn.sap.com/developer/library) is the COM-based SDK that allows to you configure Connection information for Universes.

3. If you want to modify Connection for Business Views, then there are no public SDKs that will allow you to do that.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted

Thanks for the reply.

2. The Universe Designer SDK (look in http://boc.sdn.sap.com/developer/library) is the COM-based SDK that allows to you configure Connection information for Universes.

AND

3. If you want to modify Connection for Business Views, then there are no public SDKs that will allow you to do that.

Does this basically mean that, because I am running Crystal Reports Server 2008 (which doesn't allow creating universes), that there is no way for me to programmatically change the username and password data (for a Data Connection created outside a Universe)?

(Or)

I must admit that right now i have not studied the COM SDK API completely but i can see there is a Connection class.

Would you be able to tell me if it would be possible to use this class to modify the properties of a Data Connection that has not been created in a Universe?

Ted, sorry to add more questions to this topic, I think its related enough to not require a new topic, but if you think i should open a new topic then let me know.

Best regards and thanks again

Patrick

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

So it looks like the MetaData.DataConnection that you do have are related to Business Views - either Business Views that your Crystal Reports are reporting off of, or dynamic prompts (LOVs) that your Crystal Reports parameter prompts are using.

There's unfortunately no SDK to configure those connections.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ted, I was afraid you would say that.

You are correct, our DC are created when reports are published and represent LOV in the reports.

Thanks again for the info

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry about delay completing this question, thanks for the help and information

Answers (0)