cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimizing Downtime during Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are in process of upgrade from R/3 4.7 EE 2.00 to ECC 6.0 SR3.

The details of legacy and new landscape is as follows :

Legacy Landscape

OS Solaris 9

DB Oracle 9.2.04

SAP R/3 4.7 EE 2.00

New Landscape

OS Solaris 10

DB Oracle 10g

SAP ECC 6.0 SR3

We have taken the offline backup of Live PRD and restored it on to Stand by server. We have also upgrade oracle 9i to 10g, which has taken around 20 hours.

My question is, we want to minimize the downtime by directly installing Oracle 10g with R/3 4.7 EE and the take the offline/online backup of live PRD system and restored back to oracle 10g enviroment. By doing this we can reduce the downtime by aprrox 15 hrs.

Is this scenario is possible ? Please give your valuable suggestion from your last experiences.

Thanks,

Kshitiz Goyal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest to split your SAP upgrade on 2 weekends. One weekend you do Oracle upgrade and another weekend, do SAP upgrade.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> My question is, we want to minimize the downtime by directly installing Oracle 10g with R/3 4.7 EE and the take the offline/online backup of live PRD system and restored back to oracle 10g enviroment. By doing this we can reduce the downtime by aprrox 15 hrs.

Yes - this is possible.

I suggest you get the newest installation CD set for 4.7 which supports Oracle 10g (using sapinst, not R3SETUP):

See note "969519 - 6.20/6.40 Patch Collection Installation : Oracle/UNIX", Section 3:

3.) Retroactive Release of Oracle 10.2

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks for your suggestion, we will order the new Installation DVD's for R/3 4.7 Extension Set 2 SR2 with Oracle 10.2.

Meanwhile, can u please tell me that, after installing R/3 4.7 with Oracle 10.2, should we restore Oracle 9.2.0.4 data on new set up ?

After doing this we will start the Prepare run and actual upgrade for ECC 6.0 SR3.

Your suggestion may minimize our downtime upto certain extent.

Regards,

Kshitiz Goyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do not do use a backup/restore use the R3load export/import database independent method for the system copy.

As you will be changing the database release 9i to 10g - the backup/restore procedure is not supported.

Hope this helps.

- Regards, Dibya