cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP 2004 and NetWeaver 2004s

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me for sure that we can run ERP 2004 on NetWeaver 2004s. The reason for the question is we need to install Best Practices that do not exist yet for ERP 2005 which we plan to upgrade to after. We do not want to install NetWeaver 2004 and then upgrade it to NetWeaver 2004s in order to upgrade to ERP 2005. Thanks in advance.

Quang

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Quang,

There are two types of installation for SAP NetWeaver when integrated with mySAP ERP.

The first is "embedded" (for want of a better term). This is where SAP netWeaver is installed directly within the mySAP ERP application. The most obvious example is the Application Server which is installed within the mySAP ERP installation. The application server is mandatory and you must use it for the runtime of the mySAP ERP system. All the other capabilities (components) of SAP NetWeaver are optional for installation as embedded and can be installed as standalone installations. At this point it is important to note that embedded components must be patched and upgraded at the same time as the mySAP ERP system.

The other option is standalone installation of the SAP NetWeaver capabilities. This is where you have for example, the portal and business intelligence capabilities connected to your mySAP ERP system installed as separate instances. It is possible that the standalone SAP NetWeaver installations at the higher SAP NetWeaver 2004s release if the content. I say it is possible, but you need to a sanity check against the ERP functionality that you are implementing (especially to ensure the content you require is available on your required SAP NetWeaver release) . The technology requirements should be in the mySAP ERP master planning guides.

So in your scenario, the only option you have to explore is the standalone installations and having separate instances for SAP NetWeaver. You will have to have the SAP NetWeaver application Server on the SAP NetWeaver '04 within mySAP ERP 2004. The mySAP ERP release dictates the embedded SAP NetWeaver release. when you upgrade to mySAP ERP 2005, the embedded SAP NetWeaver is upgraded at the same time.

I hope this helps,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike & Eddy. I already assigned appropriate points to both of you guys.

Quang

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, the ERP and the netweaver are two different lines of products. It's not a matter of installing of installing ERP upon NW but besides each other. The share the same base, but are different products.

More info on http://service.sap.com/ERP and http://service.sap.com/nw04

Eddy

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also check the ERP2004 integration forum:

Eddy