Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Subcontracting partial material

Several of you contributed to an excellent post last year on "subcontracting" - threadID 427179. We are trying to do a variation and having a challenge. We want to send out a partially completed material to a local vendor to do some work on it (e.g., if our tool is broken), then return it and finish the job:

For material X:

- operation 10: some processing toward X on machine A (BOM component, input, was raw material Y)

- operation 20: subcontract to vendor 123 (we'll send him the pile of partially complete X, which is not yet in inventory; he'll return it)

- operation 30: final processing toward X on machine C (we'll do GR on X)

With that other post, and some other insights, I have an external contracting operation on the routing, and a Purch Info Record with no material; the production order does allow the time for operation 20 based on the PIR; a Purch Req is proposed by the production order.

But two issues:

1. The PR can't be converted - something about no BOM components

2. If I recursively add X to it's own BOM, it doesn't help: I can get the PR to a PO, but I can't do a 541 movement from ME2o - there is no "inventory" anywhere yet (at least no material X's).

Any thoughts on how I might (a) have a 3rd party work on a material, and (b) account for the fact that a not-yet-complete material has been sent off sight and returned?

Thanks for any wisdom!

Thomas.

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question