cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Margins

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using VB6 with the Crystal ActiveX Report Viewer Library 11.0 with a SQL2005 database. The reports are being generated through our VB6 code and are designed in Crystal Reports 11.5. The report generation code has been updated to use the Crystal Reports ActiveX Designer Run Time Library 11.0. The reports were previously generated using the 8.5 version of the same component. All of this is working acceptably.

We have several reports where the exact positioning of the items on the report are a necessity. When running the reports through the 11.0 library, it seems as though the preset margins are enforced. For example, if the first field is located at one inch over and one inch down, it will now print out at 1.18 inches over and 1.166 inches down.

When I open the report for design in Crystal Reports, and select File >> Page Setup, the settings listed below are shown:

Paper Size: Letter

Paper Source: Automatically Select

Orientation: Portrait

Margins:

Left: 0.18

Top: 0.166

Right: 0.223

Bottom: 0.18

Adjust Automatically: Unchecked

Printer Options: No Printer Unchecked

If I try to change the margin settings to zero, they reset to the above values. Is there any way I can get those values to be zero?

Thank you,

Brian Whited

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Brian, looks to me like you are asking a report design question as you are trying to set the margins in the CR designer. If that is the case, I'd like you to post the questions - without mentioning VB 6 to the Report Design Forum at this link:

I'd like you to get the report working in the designer and if at that point you see issues in the VB 6 app, return to this post and take things from there.

Thank you for your understanding,.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I posted here because I cannot find a way to work around the margin setting limitation. If I can fo this through VB6 that would be great. I did post the question in the other forum as requested. If you can offer ANY information that would be great.

Thanks,

Brian

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Understood. It's always best to start with the designer. Typically, if it can not be done in the designer, it can not be done at runtime. So, let's see what the design guys have got to say...

Ludek

0 Kudos

INFO: Margins are set when we query the default printer driver to see what the printers limits are. By default if we don't use a real printer we use Microsofts Generic Print Driver, we are WYSIWYG and require a printer driver, so we use MS's.

Work around, most printer have margins less that 1 inch froma ll sides so set your report margins to be this size in the report. This way no matter what driver you use it should not later the page layout. There may be some printers so you'll have to create a list of supported printers or make a release note to verify first.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Your advice helped to point me in the right direction. It was the printer that I was printing to that caused the issue. (Lexmark W812 PS)

Thanks,

Brian