cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Locking of actual months in forecast scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus:

I'd like to block users from manually modifying the year to date (YTD) part of a plan while allowing the full year copy into another scenario.

In other words...periods 1 till 3 can not be modified (just 4 till 12). However once the user is done with the plan he should be able to copy the full scenario (including the first 3 months) into another scenario.

These type of locking for user manual action but allowing a function was quite easy with BPS and the use of dynamic columns. It's certainly not obvious in IP.

I can not simply use a dataslice with an exit variable that locks the YTD part because it will also lock the function. A data slice of type exit seems an overcomplication. And I'm considering using a data slice with a variable and some sort of functionality to activate/deactivate the data slice automatically when required.

Still it's hard to believe that IP does not provide some sort of functionality equivalent to the old BPS. Anyone has experiences supporting Forecasts/Latest estimates with a part actual and a part planned data.

Points awarded! Thanks.

Alberto Sabate

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

To keep the users from manually changing the YTD, under the planning tab, make it not changeable. A data slice will lock all of the records for the data selection but you can copy the locked records to unlocked records. Say you locked version W01. You can copy W01 to another version, but you can't copy into W01 while it is locked. I think the functionality is very similar to BPS, unless I misunderstood your requirments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Charles,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately that's not what I need. I need users to Copy all months in Version 001 into 002, even though the first months are supposed to contain actual data and should not be manually changed.

We could protect those three months in BPS by the use of something called dynamic columns in BPS (without using data slices)...but with IP, if you use dataslice you are actually protecting the 3 months (from a manual imput and function point of view).

Users should not be able to manually modify the first three months in any version.

Regards,

Alberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

If my understanding is correct, you want to block first 3months in query but should be able to write data through planning function for those 3 months also.

In this case, in the filter for planning function, restrict month by 12values. But in input ready query, restrict month in filter by a variable which gives 4-12 months. and build the query for 12 months. Even though query shows data of all 12months, fileds 1-3 will be input disabled because filter is restricted by 4-12.

Hope this works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

I think you need to go for an exit-DS. If you want to deactive a DS during runtime his can be done using an exit-DS. Please take a look at the following links: [http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=callbackdataslice+site%3Asdn.sap.com&meta=]

[;

I do not see another option right now.

Regards

Matthias Nutt

SAP Consulting Switzerland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bindu,

If you restrict in the query with a filter with variable values 4-12....how can you show values in that same query for months 1-3? You could create the columns individually but they will display no amount..because you filtered in the header. Don't you agree?

Regards,

Alberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Hard to believe that previoiusly standard functionalities are now requireing exits. But if there is no other way.

Regards,

Alberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

How is the query designed? With cell definitions, i guess you can acheive the required functionality. In rows, one keyfigure with planning property set, 12columns for 12months,

in cell definitions for first 3months, change the planning property to cannot be planned, for all other months, no changes.