Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see all the columns in the spool output of an ABAP program

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an ABAP program which displays all the columns when I run it manually. (by scrolling to the right using right arrows). When I run that report in the scheduler and when I see the output in the spool in transaction SP01, it does allow me to go to the right to see all columns.

thanks

Ram

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a limit to the lenght (10 pages ) and breath (80 characters ) to the spool in the spool display. You will have to download the spool to a local file and then the entire spool will be visible.

regards,

Advait

0 Kudos

Hi Advait,

Where is the length and breadth for the spool defined? Even if I say save to local file, it still displays only a limited number of columns. Maybe if I change my breadth settings, it will not only show on the screen, but in the file as well.

I have an old version, so the extend width button next to display contents is not there. (I am on 4.6C)

thanks

Ram

0 Kudos

Check OSS Note 409339 - Spool requests with ABAP lists with more than 255 columns.

Summary

Symptom

As of Release 4.6x, the ABAP list processor can create spool requests for ABAP lists with a width of more
 than 255 columns. However, when you print using the SAP spool, only the start of the list lines is printed, 
the rest of the line is truncated at the end of the page.

Other terms

ABAP, lists, print parameter, LINE-SIZE

Reason and Prerequisites

Creating "wide" lists on the screen (in other words, lists in the SAPGUI with more than 255 columns) was
 already introduced by the ABAP list processor for Release 4.0B. However, before Release 4.6 these lists 
cannot be printed out in the width used on screen.

In older releases (for example, 4.0B, 4.5B), you were not able to generate spool requests for lists with a 
width of more than 255 columns:
The system issues error message PT 026: "No. of columns > 255, no standard print-out possible".
Therefore, we did not have the problem described here of non-existing device-type support in 4.0/4.5 for 
printing out "wide" lists.

Up to and including 4.6C there are no SAP device types that support print formats for lists with a width of 
more than 255 characters). Since Release 3.0A, all SAP device types support a maximum list width of 255
 characters with device format X_65_255.

Solution

When you create the spool request and a print dialog box appears, enter a column width of maximum 255 
in the "Number of columns" field.
As of Release 4.6D, you have the option of using device type SWIN with the new format X_65_1024/4 when
 printing with Windows (see Note 213382).

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I'm not sure where the setting is done and if you can even change it.

I guess you did a SystemListSave . Instead there is a Export button , its the last button on the application toolbar. Click that, which will download the entire list.

regards,

Advait

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which version of SAP are you working on?

In the newer versions, there is a "Display in Maximum width(Shift + F4)" option to display the spool. This

will show you the entire width. Look for this icon next to the Display contents Icon in the first screen tool bar before the spool is displayed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Advait/Aparna,

The Export also displays only a limited number of columns.

When I was going through my profile, I found a setting called default display mode in sp01 and it is set to G. Does this need to change to anything else?

Thanks

Ram