Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changin the Attachments folder

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I have a case where I need to change the Attachments folder in General Settings Path tab. The problem is the following: even though one copies the documents form the old location to the new location, documents previously attached are not reachable any more, because the associated path is not automatically updated with the new path - in my case the old location is not available anymore. The only way to reach the documents is to UPDATE the corresponding table with the new path, which is forbidden by SAP, unless they do this by themselves.

So my question is: is there a way to go around this "feature" in SBO, where we can change the Attachments folder without "loosing" the previous documents.

Thanks

Gilles Plante

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles,

If you put your feet on the B1 shoe, how does B1 keep track two different paths at the same time?

No matter what good reason behind this change, you have to decide eighther copy all neccesary files from the old path or change back to old path. There is no other options in between.

Thanks,

Gordon

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gordon,

all attached files have a row in table ATC1. At the time the row is added, the path where the file was copied - Attachments path - is kept in of the columns. This is how SAP keeps track of many paths. And this is how my problem arises. And whatever the reason why I change the Attachments path, in this case the server is dead, I am trying to find a clever way of not being trapped by a dumb functionnality in SBO.

Gilles Plante

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gilles Plante,

I am trying to help you but you are trying to chase Gordon's reply and calling SBO Dumb. I can understand how you feel but without knowing your options, I would think you should refrain from making a determinations.

If you would reply my previous question, I could investigate the options.

Suda

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Suda,

I am not trying to chase Gordon's reply. He asked how can SBO can track many paths and I answered. But being told There is no other options in between, that I don't like.

I am supporting a customer whose server died. This server was replaced by another one with a different name - I was told that the server name had to change. Now there are a lot of documents the customer can't open anymore.

I am talking about attachments as provided by SBO, like in activity. By design, SBO copies the attached files from their original path to the path specified as Attachments folder. The thing is if you change the Attachments folder and the old location is not available for any reason, then you can't reach older attachments anymore, because the path is "hard coded" in a record. I could UPDATE the ATC1 table in seconds and fix the problem, but I am not allowed. Now have a look at the Picture folder. In this case, images are copied to this path, but the path is not kept with the image name. So if you change that folder and copies the images from the previous folder to the new one, it still works.

So to correct the problem I had to create a message with SAP support, and I have to wait till support will do the UPDATE in ATC1. And while I wait, and wait, the customer is impacted. So I am looking for a way to get isolated from a pick your qualifier function in SBO. This is why I don't smile at this time.

Thanks

Gilles Plante

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gilles Plante,

Did you follow-up with SAP Support on this or did you try to escalate or raise the priority to HIGH on the message? Please try to do so. If the Update of ATC1 is the only option, you are correct it would be ideal that SAP does this.

Can I know what was the Patch on your old server. Was it like a mapped drive that you used like M:\SAP\Attachments

OR was it like C:\Program Files\SAP\SAP Business One\Attachments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles,

Sorry for making you upset. What I mean is: in a given time, any progroms can only select one default path, nothing more than that. As your customer's server dead, you must be under great burden. We should help you out in any legally possible means.

I am open to critizise. If I were you, I may be upset too.

Thanks,

Gordon

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Suda,

I did follow-up with SAP. Now the status is that it has been forwarded to development colleagues. I know that it means its going to be verrrrrrrrrrry long. I will not escalate the message because it is too much work for such a small problem to solve. The old server was running 2005 SP 01 PL 05. The path was UNC type.

Gordon,

I agree that there should be ony one working folder at a time. But then if you change it, SBO should not penalize you.

Thanks to both of you

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The query to resolve your issue is being developed to ensure it will work correctly. You will have a solution shortly. Please do not modify the DB as you would render it outside the scope of support.

Regards,

Paul Finneran

SAP Business One Forums Team

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gilles Plante

Which documents are you using attachments. Are these system fields or UDF's.

Suda