cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory could no be read in Crystal Reports 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm getting the following error in Crystal Reports 2008 when I want to open the Format menu in the toolbar The moment Crystal Reports 2008 has just started (no report is loaded):

Crystal Reports: crw32.exe - Application Error

The Instruction at "0x00a1305d" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

The moment I click on the format menu a process SVCHOST has 100% CPU Usage for some moments and after a few seconds the errormessage appears.

I'm working on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 with 2 CPU's and 3 GB of memory.

The version of Crystal Reports is an evaluation version with Service Pack 2 on it (version = 12.0.0.840).

When I install the same Crystal Report version on the client, the error doesn't occurs.

What could be wrong on the server.?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, but my problem isn't solved yet.

I still get the same error after reinstalling the program while deleting the registry keys.

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As the next step I would check and disable Data Execution Prevention.

Go to: Start> Right-click My Computer" select Properties> Advanced tab > click Performance settings> Data Execution Prevention tab.

If DEP turned on for all programs, then add Crystal Reports (crw32.exe) to except list.

If DEP is not cause of problems, then I would suggest Process Monitor to locate the reason or at least try to locate it.

You can download Process Monitor utility from the following page:

[http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx]

The same page will tell you how to use it. I would suggest the following steps:

Close all unnecessary applications/processes

1. Open Crystal Reports

2. Start the Process Monitor, stop capturing events (Cntrl-E), clean the display (Cntrl-X), add the following filter (Cntrl-L) "Process Name is crw32.exe then include", click ok.

3. Start capturing events (Cntrl-E)

4. Immediately click Format menu on Crystal Reports

5. Stop capturing events and save the log file

Now you can look at the log file to see what is going wrong. I would also advice to capture the same log on client machine to compare the sequence of events.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I assume you already tried to reinstall the application and I would recommend to do it one more time, but this time follow the process for so-called manual uninstall

1. Uninstall Crystal reports 2008 using add remove programs

2. Save backup -up of the Registry

3. Remove the following registry key (be careful with the registry file):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports

4. Reinstall Crystal Reports 2008