Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Book : which one to choose.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have few years of experience in Java Programming. Now would like to learn ABAP.

I checked the bookstore.. and found below two books:

1. "ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver" by Horst Keller, Sascha Kruger

2. "Sams Teach Yourself ABAP/4 in 21 Days" by Ken Greenwood

Which one i can choose out of those.. or is there any better recommended book other than the above ones.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

"ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver" by Horst Keller, Sascha Kruger --> this is an advanced book for OOPS ABAP

"Sams Teach Yourself ABAP/4 in 21 Days" by Ken Greenwood --> this book gives you an overview of ABAP

You need to decide whether you would be workin in ABAP or OOPs ABAP. OOPS ABAP is definitely the advanced ABAP programming and since u come from Java, it might be easy to relate(OOPS).

I have both the books and i started with SAMs and then moved to ABAP Objects one

Thanks,

KD

5 REPLIES 5

karol_seman
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

the book you mention in point 1 is for advanced. It is useful when you already know how SAP works, how to develop in ABAP and you want to include objects into your programs.

Book in point 2 is for beginners. If you are not sure you don't have to buy it immediately. First find these books as ebooks and then make decision.

Regards,

Karol

Former Member
0 Kudos

If ur familiar with ABAP got for the first... If u are not, then take both.

Regards,

Vishwa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

"ABAP Objects: ABAP Programming in SAP NetWeaver" by Horst Keller, Sascha Kruger --> this is an advanced book for OOPS ABAP

"Sams Teach Yourself ABAP/4 in 21 Days" by Ken Greenwood --> this book gives you an overview of ABAP

You need to decide whether you would be workin in ABAP or OOPs ABAP. OOPS ABAP is definitely the advanced ABAP programming and since u come from Java, it might be easy to relate(OOPS).

I have both the books and i started with SAMs and then moved to ABAP Objects one

Thanks,

KD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Both books are good. I have met and worked with Ken Greenwood in the past and his style of writing is great for a beginner. However, I think his book may be a bit dated (not sure if there is an up-to-date edition).

Without a doubt (IMHO) the Horst Keller book is the premium ABAP book out there for anyone looking to learn ABAP.

I would like to also say that learning ABAP from a book is not the same as learning most programming languages. First (and most obvious) you must get your hands on an SAP system to practice. The real ABAP knowledge, however, will come with experience on SAP projects. ABAP generally requires that you have some working knowledge of the SAP functional (business) side of things to be an effective (and valuable) resource for your client/employer.

I find it absolutely wonderful that there are folks out there like yourself that are eager to learn ABAP. It is a great language to work with!

Best Regards,

Jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inputs