cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress previous group footer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to compare 2 group footers to eachother.

When some values in the group footer are the same both group footer must be suppressed.

- I can put the values from group footer 1 into some variables.

- Compare the variables with the values in group footer 2.

- suppress group footer 2 when the values are the same.

But how can i suppress the first group footer?

With records i can use previous and next, but is it also possible with group footers?

Maybe there is someone who can help me with this. The only thing i think i can do is add the groupings to a sql-command and handle it like records, but when we do this the whole report must be rebuild.

Joris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joris,

Unless the objects in GF6a are database fields then I don't think you are going to be able to compare the values within a single report.

You could insert a subreport in the Report Header that duplicates the structure of the main report and hold the GF6a values in an array that is then passed back to the main report. Set up a counter in GF6a that you can use to reference the elements of the array and compare say array[x] to array[x+1]. If they are equal then suppress.

You can suppress all of the sections in the subreport, set the subreport to suppress when blank, and set the section the subreport is in to suppress when blank as well to keep it from appearing but still allowing it to process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It are almost all database fields.

There is one summary of a database field.

Running totals have no next or previous, so sastry how can i compare the running totals?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are quite right , I left you with one unique record instead of none.

Following on from my previous suggestion , would it be possible to set up a running total counter that counts the changes in the Group#6a group field and displays/resets in my new group 5 group footer.

If the total is greater than 1 then suppress the new group 5 section .

Just a thought

Thanks

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joris,

Create the running total as follows :

1.Group Foter 6a--rtot1

2.Group Foter 6a--rtot2

so on..

now in section expert 1.Group footer6a under suppress condition please check If #rtot1 = #rotat2 then true

Line in 2. group footer6a If #rtot2 = #rtot1 then true

Hope this will help you

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sastry,

You said to add different running totals to each group footer, but if we don't know the number of group footers, we can't do this i think.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've added the group from richard to the report.

The report looks nog like this

Group5H

Group6aF

Group5F

Group5H

Group6aF

Group6aF

Group5F

Group5H

Group6aF

Group5F

Group5H

Group6aF

Group6aF

Group5F

I didn't move the fields from Group6a to Group5F, because when there are 2 group6aF i only have one in group5F.

Now i know in every Group5F if I want to suppress Group5 or not. But the problem is how can i suppress a group including the subgroups in the footer of Group5.

When we have

Group5H

Group6aF

Group6aF

Group5F

Then there is a possibility to suppress everything or show everything.

How to suppress in Group5F the whole Group5 including subgroups.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its looks like you are nearly there.

As per my previous answer, I think you need to count the number of group 6's within each group 5. If the count is greater than 1 then the section is a duplicate and can be suppressed.

You can do this with a running total within a detail section that evaluates on each change of group 6 and resets on group 5.

Group 6 can be suppressed for all occurances - no need to test this group, just hide it in the report completely.

Where you have 2 group 6's in a group 5 I am expecting the information to be duplicated anyway. That is why I suggested moving the fields from the group 6 footer to the group 5 footer.

The only problem I can see with this is if you have sums in group 6. If you move them to group 5 , you may not see the same value as it may be adding the values from more than one group 6.

Hope this is a help.

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oke,

But the problem is when we have 2 group6's.

We must see them both or we must see nothing.

We not compare the group6's on all the fields, so there is difference between the 2 rows.

So moving the field in group5 is no option, because after that there is no option to see both rows.

If there is any option to suppress a whole group including subgroups the problem is solved.

Edited by: Joris Stoop on Oct 1, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I understand your theory, but after that you have all unique footers.

The problem is when two footers are the same, I want to suppress them both.

Not one of them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

For each footer you need to check the running totals and apply the suppress condition.

Regards,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oke, that's clear to me, but when i do that how can i suppress both group footers.

Can i do this with previous and next?

And can I use strings within running totals?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The report looks something like this:

GROUP #6a

GROUP #6a

GROUP #6a

GROUP #6a

GROUP #6a

GROUP #6a

GROUP #4

GROUP #2

The problem is that i want to compare the GROUP #6a to each other.

When two of them are the same, suppress both

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joris,

To compare two group footer values you will have to create a running total for each group footer and in section expert under suppress compare these running totals and suppress.

This will help you.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tricky one.

Only thing I can think of is to create a formula field based on a concatenation of the values that you need to compare to each other in Group #6a.

E.g. your totals in the group might contain an Account Name and a Sort Key. So create a formula called @group5 which would be Account Name + Sort Key . You would need to pad out the Account name and sort key to their max lengths with spaces.

Then insert another group into the report grouping on the @group5 formula field.

Copy the field values you were displaying in group 6 into the group 5 footer section.

Hide the Group#6a group footer completely and use the group5 one instead.

So now you should only see unique report footer sections.

I'm kind of thinking aloud but does this work?

Thanks and good luck

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm unclear as to the report structure

Do have something like example 1

detail

detail

GROUP #2 totals

more detail

detail

GROUP #2 totals