cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is any front end input validation for all input fields in Crystal report XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to prompt an alert message when user is entering any invalid value at enter inputs window.

Is it possible to do so, than please let me know.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

You can use Edit Mask option to evaluate the user entry. Also you cah check Max / Min length and Default value from Crystal Reports prompts.

If you want to apply more validations then you may have to try with SDK.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sastry,

Can you please give me an example to do that.

For example -let, i am trying to avoid any Null value for an input parameter called Caller Type if user is giving a Null value for it(either by checking null value checkbox or not giving any input for it).

How i can prompt him an alert mesaage?

Thanks....

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Crystal Reports click on Help | Crystal Reports Help

Then click on the Search tab and type in: edit mask

Then the top entry should be "Defining entry type and format using the Edit Mask

Click on that and read the info on the right side of the page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James for your help.

But Edit Mask is having some restrictions.

Like how i can stop a user to enter a Null Value for a field and how i can edit the mask error messages, which are coming on the "Enter Inputs" prompt window.

And if I am using a dynamic field then how I can force a user to select a field always.

Please help me out......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

It seems you do not have proper access privileges to connect to your SQL Server 2005. Please assign Administrator privileges to your logon in SQL Server 2005.

Create a ODBC using your logon and connect you your database and check the connection. If you are able to connect to your database then you can use your logon credentials.

Regards,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Very sorry to post irrelevant answer in this thread. It was posted my mistake.

Thanks for understanding

Regards,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

In this case please check the Minimum length option. It checks for minimum length of user input.

Hope this will help you

Regards,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sastry,

Its ok...i was wondering ... am I asking any stupid question.

One more thing Sastry.. can we edit the message which is coming when I am opting for any Edit Mask for my input parameter. Like in case of Minimum Length its coming "The minimum length for this field is 4."

and if user in entering less than 4 error message is shown as " The minimum length for this field is 4."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ...

No Deepak, this is by design you can't use your own warnings or error messages in Crystal.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ohhh...

Thanks Sastry for your help.....

One more thing i am using To Date field in my report by default a Null Checkbox is coming there i don't want that Null checkbox because date filed should be mandatory according to my requirement.

Is there any way to do so?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

This is because you are using a storedprocedure / Add Command in Crystal Report.

To avoid this Defualt Null value check box you need to remove this paramenter from your storedprocedure and create at report level under Field explorer--Parameter Fields and filter in Record Selection.

This parameter will not allow the user to enter Null values or spaces.

Thanks,

Sastry

Answers (0)