Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro Abap Performance Issues

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

we're using a lot of webdynpro for abap applications, that we built.

We're having a lot of complaints from users , that performance is very poor. We switched on Delta-Rendering and using Shared Repository, but that helped not so much.

is there any tool where we can see where we loose performance, it is not in the backend (i mean abap coding reading data etc.), it must be somewhere in the html-stuff.

we are also using NWBC but also there no significant performance boost was seen.

any help welcome

oliver

we're using ERP 6.0 NW 7.0 ServicePack 14 on the Abap

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>it is not in the backend

Are you sure? Have you done an ABAP runtime trace or SQL trace? What is the memory load on the backend per session? How are your applications structured? Do you use multiple components per application? Do you have cross component context mapping? How large is your context - how deeply structured as well? How many UI elements on the screen, on average? What kinds of UI elements? Are you doing any dynamic UI manipulation in WDDOMODIFYVIEW?

Some tools that can help with determining where the problem might be:

Old style ABAP tools like the runtime analysis, memory inspector, and the SQL trace call all be used with WDA. In addition you can use certain WDA specific URL parameters. sap-wd-perfmonitor=X is probably the most useful. It will break down the runtime expense between server, client, and network transmission. It also shows the memory load on the server side. Also check out the Overview option in the performance display. This will show the number of active components, controllers, context nodes and context elements.

Inside SAP we use a tool called HTTP Watch for Internet Explorer to monitor the number and size of the individual request objects. This is a third party tool - not supplied by SAP.

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

i used this urlparameter sap-wd-perfmonitor=X but nothing happens, do i have to be on a higher release than we do.

we have no problems in backend, we checked this, the funny thing is that i think it's not a backend nor a rendering issue, because the performance is very inconstant, some times quite fast sometimes very slow.

we will try using with the http-watch to find something out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Thomas,

as I can see from posts in this forum, many people seem to have performance issues with web dynpro (including myself). I think each one of us would give you different answers to your (very interesting) questions.

In my opinion, it would be extremely helpful for all of us to get some rules of thumb about the issues you touch:

I.e.: From a performance view:

- How should I structure my application?

- What are the implications of multiple components?

- What are the implications of cross component context mapping? Would it be better to use e.g. a static abap objects class?

- How large may a context be (what would you consider critical)? Is it better to have deep or shallow structure?

- How many UI elements would you consider OK?

- Is nesting of TransparentContainers an Issue?

- Types of UI elements: which ones are critical?

- Any rule of thumb as of how to use WDDOMODIFYVIEW

etc.

You also have some interesting questions in this thread where I am eager to learn the ansers (yes, we do use tab strips - is it bad? is there an alternative?)

I think that many of us would be grateful for answers.

Best regards,

Chris