Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

query in idocs

hi

I have tried to read a lot of material on idocs, and idoc creation . I still have one basic question which is still not clear to me.

For every standard message type , is there a standard program for populating and creating idocs ( i mean building the control and data records and then calling fm. master_idoc ** ) ? If so do we ever need to create a program for creating/ populating idocs ( If there is NO idoc extension , and no custom segment that needs to be populated ) .

I came across a scenario where there is no idoc extension still they are creating a stand alone program to extract data from standard tables and then creating the idocs . Does that mean that the mapping can be different even for standard segments ? otherwise why are we doing that ?

Former Member
replied

Hello,

Some times, it so happens that the Kind of Data to be sent does not have a Standard Selection Program or the basic Type itself does not suit for the Requirement.

For example, if Pricing Data is to be sent to a 3rd Party system, then the Standard IDoc Type cannot be completely used. Instead, people opt for creating a Custom IDoc Type and Custom Selection Program (Could be a Report) to Send across the Information. In this Case, we'll not have any Extension as the Basic IDoc Type itself is a kind of its own.

Another example which I worked on was that the Customer wanted a Report for Displaying all the Production Orders in an ALV Report. When the User selects one or more Production Orders and clicks on the SEND button on the Application Tool Bar, all the Production Order information should be sent as IDocs to the 3rd Party System for Labeling purpose.

Hope it was clear.

Thanks and Regards,

Venkat Phani Prasad Konduri

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question