cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File_System_Full Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

In my production system of ECC 6.0, AIX, Oracle 10g, while doing the DB check, I've encountered the following error messages

BR0970W Database administration alert - level: WARNING, type: FILE_SYSTEM_FULL, object: /oracle/RP1/sapdata1, value: 99.74% (> 99%)

BR0970W Database administration alert - level: WARNING, type: FILE_SYSTEM_FULL, object: /oracle/RP1/sapdata4, value: 99.75% (> 99%)

The datafiles that are currently being accessed are in the sapdata6 directory where there is ample space.

When I access any table which is in the datafile on the sapdata1, then in that condition will not create a problem. Can I identify what tables are store in which of the datafiles in sapdata1 for eg.

Will the above situation cause a problem on the performance of the DB....

Request you to kindly guide

Thanks....

Aliila

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no performance problems are to be expected.

but, on HP-UX, people told me to keep 1% free disk space for performance reasons.

on Windows, antoher guy said more like 10%, but this was for OS drive.

maybe AIX has some kind of similar rule.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

Thanks for your answers.....

What I was enquiring was does this create some sort of performance issue. Do we need to maintain any std space and is there a method of increasing the files on the sapdata1,2,3,4 partitions...

Regards

Aliila

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you do not think that space usage will increase, go in DB17 and disable check for FILE_SYSTEM_FULL.

when adding new datafiles, add them on another filesystem.

or, you may want to increase disk space on these filesystems. it<s up to you to decide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aliila!

In my opinion adding one more file for your tablespace will be more effective.

You can use command

ALTER TABLESPACE "your_tablespace_placed_on_full_drive" ADD DATAFILE "location_with_free_space"

Also for identification your fulltablespace you can use DB02--> Space > Tablespaces> Overview

Edited by: Artem Ivashkin on Sep 30, 2008 11:04 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

These errors in DB Check are not of concern as it just checks for the conditions defined at DB17 and reports then in DB Check.

These error messages are just information that your sapdata1 and 4 are full.

It has got nothing to do with the current usage of sapdata.

You can clearly see the tablespace usages in Brtools .

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aliila,

If you are absolutely sure that no data files are growing in sapdata1 and 2 then you could ignore the error.

Please check if any of the data files defined in these filesystem are set to Autoextend and if so have they reached the Maxlimit specified.

You can do this by going to DB02 -> Tablespaces -> and looking at the data files for each.

If you do have files that can still grow, it would be advisable to move them to a filesystem where there is more space available. (this can't be done with the system online). Or just extend the Filesytem to provide for additional space.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sunil.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can use this select to find the tables in a sapdata1 datafile (replace SID with your sid):

SQL> select table_name from dba_tables t, dba_data_files f
     where t.tablespace_name = f.tablespace_name and f.file_name like '/oracle/SID/sapdata1/%'

But this might not be what you want, in my case it returned about 100'000 tables

Im my opionion, you should check if you are having datafiles with autoextend, because this can be the reason for full sapdata filesystems. You can see the autoextend either in DB02 or of course you can use another SQL:

SQL> select file_name, bytes, maxbytes from dba_data_files
     where maxbytes <> 0 and file_name like '/oracle/SID/sapdata1/%'

/oracle/SID/sapdata1/sr3usr_1/sr3usr.data1  20971520   10485760000

In this example the file sr3usr.data1 has 20971520 bytes and it can autoextend to 10485760000 bytes. This means you need ~10gb additional free space in sapdata1.

Regards

Michael