cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Project Stock

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All - I am working with a Drilling company who currently uses project stock to manage their joint venture well requirements. One of the problems they have is in maintaining control/visibility of their project stock.

The use a generic WBS element (and call it "Long Lead AFE") to purchase all their project stock. It's months later that they will then move it from the Long Lead AFE to the actual well AFE. During the period that stock sits in the Long Lead AFE, they have very little visibility of what's there. Because of the lack of control, they want to discontinue using project stock.

They are now considering replacing project stock with a plant - designated as Long Lead AFE. I think they will be creating more problems than not. Some of the problems/issues I see: 1) Release strategies for new plant, 2) plant to plant transfers when moving the stock to the final well destination, 3) configuration on a new plant, etc etc etc

I would like to hear from everyone on issues they see with using plant as opposed to project stock. And, if you like the idea, I'd like to hear that too!

Thanks

SP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One biggest problem with regard to plant stock:

Purchase requisitions / Purchase ordres / stock are not account assigned and hence tracking materials for the project would be difficult. As a result, project progress reporting would become difficult. Also plant stock materials can be consumed by any project, and in the event of conflicting requirements, there could be anarchy.

regards

Murali

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you should explore the option of advance procurement rather than project stock

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please advise, what is "advance procurement"? I'm an MM person but I'm unfamiliar with "advance procurement".

If we were to use a separate plant code for the collection of all materials purchased, as an alternative to project stock, the solution would exist in the MM module. Normal procurement would take place - namely,

1) procure stock under special plant code using requisitions and PO's

2) receive goods to special plant code (almost as though special plant had storehouse to store "project stock"

3) when well WBS element is finally set up, issue the "project stock" purchased for this well to the well WBS element.

Is there something else in the MM module called "advance procurement" that I'm missing? As I've outlined the above steps for using a separate plant, rather than project stock, for purchasing stock for projects, do you see any issues with it?

Thanks kindly for your assistance.

SP

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not MM it is a PS functionality see SAP help for more details

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/8b/fcd0687e3811d2b6bc0000e8359ebc/frameset.htm

regards your other option I concur with Murali (previous comment)

Edited by: Virendra Pal on Sep 30, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The method which is adopted is the generic one which is used many clients (using Project stock).

Creating another plant for the pupose of monitoring has to be critically analyzed . u have answer some of the questions like

1) how many projects are there and have long lead WBS Elements.

2) how many plants u can create to solve ur problem.

I think its very difficult to manage/imagine like that.

But could u please explain more on the "Visibility" issue what client has raised. As there are plenty of report available to track the project stock, for example "PROMAN". using PROMAN u can crtically evaulate the WBS stock.

Come back soon

Thanx

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried to enter PROMAN as transaction. Not recognized. Please advise. Thanks for your response.

SP

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PROMAN transaction is CNMM

Only available after v4.6C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much. Got the information I need and am pursuing.

SP