cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation on data passed to Crystal Report

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I have a very basic question that I cannot find the answer to in the manual or online.

We are pulling data from a SQL 2005 database. Specifically, we are querying information that contains very complicated legal instructions - the equivalent of two dozen pages of text.

We are finding that the data is being truncated once it reaches the report to about 7 pages....

Is there a limit on the amount of data Crystal Report XI can bring across from a single record. Or is this a limitation of the report itself? I am working with the developers who are struggling to make this work correctly and I am trying to get to the bottom off this.

Thanks for your time!

Dirk

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dirk,

The limit is 64k of data per record. You may find that only 32k are coming back if the data is stored as double byte characters. The only workaround to this that I am aware of is to chunk the data out into blocks of 64k data in a stored procedure or view.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham -

Thank you so much for the reply! That is extremely helpful and will give us a baseline for moving forward. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

I will pass on the information you provided to our developers.

Warmest regards,

Dirk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe there is a limit to the length of string Crystal can work with, although I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but probably 65534 characters - once upon a time it was 256 characters!

You could try working around this limitation by creating a few formulas, grabbing, say, the nth 1000 characters and storing it into a variable.

eg:

stringvar part1:=left(YourField, 1000);

stringvar part2:=mid(YourField, 1001, 2000);

stringvar part3:=mid(YourField, 2001, 3000);

etc...

Of course, you could wrap that up in a loop to automate it if you'd prefer.

Then, create a formula for each of the above "part(x)" variable to display the contents:

//Formula @show_part1

stringvar part1

//Formula @show_part2

stringvar part2

etc...

Finally, drop each of these "show" formulas into a single textbox and hopefully, you should get what you need.

If not, chop it up in the SQL command/view/whatnot and return it as seperate columns and concat them in a similar textbox fashion?

Let us know how you get on...

Ta,

J