cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple language support

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few questions:

1) Does the report viewer control have multiple language support? I could not find a way to resource the status bar, toolbar tooltips, or subsequent dialogs.

2) Is there a way to support multiple languages in the reports? I'm thinking of inspecting all ReportObjects in the ReportDefinition, but I'm wondering if there's a less invasive way of handling this.

3) Is there a way to determine the last page number of a report? I understand that not all pages are loaded initially and I'm ok with that limitation, but I can find no way to determine if the user's reached the last page other than looking at the enabled state of the "Last Page" button in the toolbar.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Yes we support multiple languages. Go here http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/devsuite.htm then check out Crystal Reports .NET SDK > Tutorials and Sample Code > Other Tutorials > Configuring Multilingual Client Support.

2. This depends on what you mean by supporting multiple languages? Do you mean you want the entire report, including data to be in another language? If so then this is up to you. We don't translate the data. We only translate the tooltips, toolbar, and regionalize the data formats. You can either switch to a different data table for the correct language, create a formula to translate for you, or create a custom UFL and subscribe to a translation service to translate the data for you.

3. Yes. Check out note 1216240 here https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-notes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That all looks very helpful. Thanks for the fast reply. I'll look into it further and mark the thread as answered appropriately.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To clarify on my second question. Can I create a report where the column headings are translated (by me)?

Let's say I want a report like this:

(in en-US)

School

-

(in fr-FR)

Ecole

-

Maybe this question is better posted separately in the Business Objects>Crystal Reports Design forum?

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Translating reports is only limited by your imagination and how much work you want to do. First thing you should ask yourself is "How is the translation going to be done?".

- Will you store all the translated data in a database? If so then you need to dynamically point the report at a new database.

- Will you do a straight translation from one language to another? Then you need to figure out what that mechanism is before you get started.

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, thanks for your reply earlier. That was spot on, and a tremendous help.

I'm still not satiated on the second question, though.

As for my imagination, I have a pretty good one, for example...

The report would function similar to a windows form in that I could set the "Localizable" property to true. Then I would write the report in my default language, save it, change the default language to the next language I want to support, translate it, save it, and repeat. Each translation would be stored in a separate resx file to facilitate processing by a third party... in case I couldn't translate it on my own.

So, I just finished imagining it... how hard is it to do?

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A Crystal Report doesn't contain any "localization" attribute to display headings or static text in a specific language. The closest thing you can do is to use formulas and parameters.

For example - create a report and add a string parameter called language. Then create a formula called Hello. See the sample below for how to display Hello in English or French. Finally drag the formula onto the Report Header to see it in action.

select {?language} 
    case  "english": "Hello"
    case "french": "Bonjour"
    default: "Default Hello"

udaykumar-0007
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Go here http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/devsuite.htm is not working. Can you please provide the link. Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

it could be useful to all of you

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-45676

regards

S BABU