cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Delete objects button for users who's group membership restricts

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can we disable the delete objects button for users who's group membership explicitly revokes the ability to delete an object within a folder?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks so much for your insight Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have modified the jsfadmin and header.jsp in the desktop.war file to remove the delete icon from the tool bar. I gave the user the authority to delete but not the ability. I did this because I wanted the users to move objects to a trash can that I monitored.

I have read that you can just delete the delete icon from the war, but I have not tried this.

You can find more on this if your check out this msg board and search recycle bin

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/about.php

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks so much for your insight Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I have the what's new document for 3.0. There is nothing in there regarding static controls from 2.0 being inactive when explicitely revoked in 3.0. Do you know if there is any such documentation to indicate specifically, which controls will be inactive when explicitely revoked in 3.0?

Any thoughts on the process of upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0? We're just getting moving on importing all reports and having users introduced to the system from seagate 7.5 so it's been a significant change. After looking at the what's new document, 3.0 seems to have substantial features and we're considering going to 3.0 now vs. 2.0 now and 3.0 later....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bart,

I read it in one of the white papers that i downloaded from the Business Objects website. The drop down (New dropdown) is dynamic based on your application rights, but the delete and organize options are not.

I am currently in the process of upgrading to 3.0. I ran into couple of small issues which hopefully will be resolved soon. Overall, 3.0 interface looks a lot better and there are some rights which are made more granular in 3.0. i have also heard that SP1 for 3.0 is around the corner as well, so you might wanna consider upgrading to 3.0 after SP1 comes out.

Hope this helps.

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I did use advanced features on folder objects to explicitly restict the ability to delete.

A user being tested can get to the folder and select an object and click on the delete button and does recieve an error message indicating that they do not have privileges to delete the object.

Is there a way to "hide", "grey-out", or otherwise remove the delete button so that the user cannot even see the delete button?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In XIR2 the buttons are static which means that even if you revoke the rights, the buttons will be visible. In 3.0 though, I have read that some buttons are dynamic.

People have modified the .jsp files to disable these buttons if you'd want to explore this option. However, keep in mind that the more customizations you do the more you have to move when you apply a patch or upgrade. Just my two cents.

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Presuming you're using XI, if the group in question has been given 'View' access (one of the 5 default access levels), normally, they shouldn't be able to delete objects. You may need to further refine the permissions by setting the Access Level to 'Advanced' and cherry-picking what rights you want the group members to have.