cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Crystal Reports 2008 and IIS7 and Windows Server 2008?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have downloaded and installed the trial for Crystal Reports 2008 on our Windows 2008 server. I can open Crystal Reports on the server just fine, but I get HTTP 500 errors when I attempt to view a report hosted on that server via the web.

As far as I can tell, the handler mappings in IIS7 are not configured properly, although I confirmed that the Crystal Reports 2008 install did add several handlers. I read that I must configure the application pool to enable 32-bit applications. I did that and am still getting the same error. Documentation seems sparse and I've spent the better part of the day searching the forum here with no luck. What am I missing?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Open IE and go into Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and check off Show Friendly HTTP error messages.

This will give us more detailed info on the exact issue.

Server 2k8 and IIS 7 is fairly new so we have not had time to produce much documentation or configuration info.

Also, what development language did you use? Have to tested using a simple app that does not use CR to see if permissions are configured for your application folder, ASP, ASPX etc.?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Thank you for the quick response!

We will ultimately be using ASPX/C#, but this simple case has a very basic report with no databind, just a single text label that reads "test succeeded" and I'm attempting to access it by direct URL (i.e. "http://192.168.99.21/crystalreportviewers12/test.rpt"). This works on our Windows 2000 server running Crystal Reports 8.

I've also tested with a simple test.aspx file with only the line "Response.Write(System.DateTime.Now.ToString())" and that works just fine. This file is in the same folder as the test.rpt file.

If I leave the Application Pool set for the "Integrated" managed pipeline mode, I continue to get a rather generic "500 - Internal server error". If I switch it to "Classic", I get the following error:

Failed to Execute URL.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Failed to Execute URL.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to Execute URL.]
   System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProcForIIS6.BeginExecuteUrl(String url, String method, String childHeaders, Boolean sendHeaders, Boolean addUserIndo, IntPtr token, String name, String authType, Byte[] entity, AsyncCallback cb, Object state) +2004965
   System.Web.HttpResponse.BeginExecuteUrlForEntireResponse(String pathOverride, NameValueCollection requestHeaders, AsyncCallback cb, Object state) +390
   System.Web.DefaultHttpHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state) +223
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8674594
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Unmanaged URL reporting - referencing a rpt file in the URL - is not supplied with Crystal Reports since 8.5.

Your option is to create a Crystal Reports .NET - ASP.NET application to display reports over the web.

Sincerely,

Ted ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ted,

Well, that would explain the trouble I've been having! I see I have quite a bit of work to do now. Thank you for your assistance!

Paul

Answers (0)