cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal 11 - Check for Updates not Working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have many users running Crystal 11 Pro and we cannot get the Check for Updates to work on any of our Vista or XP computers. It searches for the Available Updates and then returns with the error message "Download Failed" Either you are not connected to the Internet or the Update Service servers are currently unavailable.

We are definitely connected to the Internet and I have been trying to do this over the past week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lynda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lynda,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are able to reproduce the issue at our end and believe the issue originates with the Automatic Update Service server itself and are taking steps to resolve it.

Canceling the Automatic update message will not affect the use of Crystal Reports and you may want to temporarily disable the option to Check for Updates on Start Up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe Mr. Cunningham was being a touch disingenuous in saying "there seems to be something wrong with the update server, and we are taking steps to fix it.", back in September. It is my understanding that the Update choice on the opening screen (at least of R1 - I have been completely unsuccessful in installing R2) points to a server which was disabled by SAP when they took BI over, (and no substitute provided.) It isn't going to get "fixed", and if you want to update your software you are stuck with the extraordinarily dysfunctional process of downloading things manually, with great uncertainty that it is going to work at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have noticed this lack of being to update problem also. Do you have to upgrade/update to R2 for the autoupdates to work? Is this a free upgrade/update? I have tried the service packs- 1,2 and 3 were able to load. I saved 4 to my harddrive and tried to install it from there, but it keeps asking me to insert a disk. I don't have any disk, and it doesn't specify what disk, so I can't install service pack 4.

I still can't receive the updates, so when you figure this out, please let me know what I have to do.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

Here is the link to down load the service pack4 for crystal xi.

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The link does not allow me access to anything. Please resend a permissive link.

Former Member
0 Kudos

WHat is sad here is that your response has been the same for over 6 months. If you have not solved this in 6 months that would indicate to me you have to intention of bring the update server back up? This is horribly frustrating. I have tried ALL of your fixes regarding the update and none have worked for me. After all of your suggestions I am still at 11.0.0.2494. Down loading the fix does not work for me because the file keeps telling me it is corrupt. THIS is frustrating!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sara,

The link which was send to you is working.

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

Copy the entire link in a notepad and copy the entire link in your Internet explorer.

You will be routed to the exact area where you can download service pack and hot fixes.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Naveen.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I hope to clarify issues here:

Yes we have had problems with the update links due to SAP take over. For CR XI R2 ( 11.5 ) they have been fixed. Since CR XI R1 ( 11.0 ) is past its supported life cycle they may not fix the links, but keep trying it may someday work.

And YES, the upgrade to CR XI R2 is free to upgrade. Your existing XI R1 keycode will work but go to the keycode store to get an XI R2 to enable all features. Download the trial version from http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc

Unfortunately if the update service does not work for old versions of CR your only option is to manually download the patches. XI R1 have no new patches and CR XI R2 will have SP6 and then possibly 4 patches after that and that will be the end of patches.

To get them here is a link to our external download site:

http://service.sap.com/sap/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

Also to get the latest documents on all patches, lifecycle, development resources and help file go to this link:

Go to: http://help.sap.com/businessobjects/ and select All Products

Of course if you have any new comments or concerns please let us know?

Thank you

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Nov 5, 2009 1:16 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

You have downloaded the service pack from our support and save it on your local disk.

Try to install the service pack from your local disk and you can find the Patches folder and your version numbers will be updated

You can download the service packs and hot fixes from the below link:

Check for the patches folder in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Crystal Reports 11\Patches\

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Thanks for letting me know my problem in reaching you.

There is no service pack available for upgrading from CR XI R1 to CR XI R2.

You can get the down load for CR XIR2 from SAP Support Portal, which is completely a different version from crystal XI R1.

After getting the download you can upgrade directly from your current version.

Just let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Navin, I am sorry to be so persistent. I think we are making progress, but I still do not fully understand. Could I get you to clarify? Just Yes or No to the following questions will help:

1) Am I correct in understanding that R2 is a different product from R1?

2) Can I download this different product and install it to replace my existing product (R1)?

3) Is this download free to existing holders of R1? (Or do I need to have some sort of subscription to get updates?)

4) And, finally, is there any advantage in replacing R1 with R2, (or will it just cause more pain?)

5) Last question: am I correct in thinking you work for SAP? (In other words, can I take what you tell me as authoritative?)

You are being awfully patient with us, and I am most grateful. (I note that you are carrying on a parallel dialogue in another thread about versions being different than the one purchased. Does this say something about a flaw in the version update process? The Updates don't work (and seemingly never will, given that this has been going on for a good two months and still isn't fixed) and the download process is so confused that even savvy users (this excludes me!) can't figure it out. Perhaps you can pass a message back to the designers that they need to make the process much more transparent and simple, or maybe just write up a document telling us poor users how it is supposed to work. (And, with the greatest respect for your obvious expertise, perhaps it would be better if this document were written by somebody a little more comfortable with English. This is not in any way a criticism. It is just that the language barrier between us adds an extra source of confusion.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you let us know from which site you are down loading the service pack.

Just log on to link in the SAP support portal and down load the service pack for Crystal reports release 1 service pack 2.

i.e. CR XI R1 with service pack 2.

You can get the correct down load form the service .support portal

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response and trying to help us update our Crystal Reports.

I did as you requested and went to the portal and downloaded this file. It shutdown my services and performed all functions then restarted the service. Before the update my version was 11.0.0.2495 and after the version was 11.0.0.2495. So I am not sure what was updated. Your thoughts?? Again thank you for your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

PLEASE pay attention to this thread!

The upgade path in the WORSE I have seen in a long time. Adobe is a model that works well.

I have tried for over a month to learn how to upgrade crystal reports 11 pro and I bet MANY of your users have the same issues. When I first purchased this product upgrade, it was a disaster. Because of some very high level special inside and outside Cystal people my install situation was resovled. Trying to upgrade Crystal 11 Pro is a problem that I hope is soon resolved. The upgrade server should not take months to fix.

2nd issue is Crystal Pro is suppost to come with a 5 user license Crystal Server. There is no please that even talkes about this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think ONE of the problems here is that when I tried to download the Crystal Reports Version 11 ServicePack 2 the file is corrupted. I tried to download it many times with the same results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there is no such confusion is required with crystal versions.

There is only one single version of crystal reports 11.

i.e. CR XI R1.

The Next Version of CR XI R1 is CR XI R2.

You can find the differences between XI R1 and XI R2.

If the series starts with 11.0.0.12 the it is CR XI R1.

The series starts with 11.5.0.18 or 11.5.8.826. then it is CR XI R2.

You can upgrade to the latest version of crystal CR XI R2 with SP2 default or can go with CR 2008.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Navin, I am most grateful to you for your faithful attention to this thread. May I ask whether you are a SAP representative, (and hence both authoritative and able to effect change), or just a remarkably patient and enthusiastic user?

I fear we are getting a little lost in language here, (It is apparent that English is not your first language). Can I seek a little clarification? I am grateful for your guidance on determining the version I have . (This explanation is clear and unequivocal) But then it gets a bit lost in language. You say, "There is only one single version of Crystal Reports 11" and this is R1. But then you talk about R2 and 2008. Perhaps if I frame a question more explicitly it would help transcend the confusion: I have R1. Can I download something which will make this into R2? (As an example, MS-Windows regularly issues patches (which presumably are the equivalent of your "Fixes", and periodically issues new releases (SR-2, SR-3), which overwrite one's existing version and upgrade it to the new release. These releases are issued free. "Upgrading" to from XP to Vista, however, is far from free, and doesn't happen automatically. If we can go from R1 to R2 by downloading a file from the SAP website, is it free, the same as going from SR-1 to SR-2 in Windows? And, supplementary question, is there any advantage in upgrading (or will it only cause more grief than we already have?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not a new problem; I had the same message back in early September. But I am a very unsophisticated user, and figured it was just me.

Now, I need guidance on the alternative means of updating. Clicking on the opening screen of CR-IX for the "Downloads" brings up a screen on which one can enter one's product, and which, one would think, will bring up updates. If one selects just CR-IX from the drop-down, a message returns that there are no updates available.

OK, let's try CR-IX R1. Or is it R2? Do I have R1 or R2?? How do I tell? (It isn't in the Help-> About) If I have R1, should I be updating to R2? Where do I find the update to R2?

Let's try R-1. (I got my upgrade to IX very shortly after it was released, so it is likely R1...) I get multiple screens full of fixes and updates. How do I tell which ones I should download and install? Do I need to download each one of them? Is there any form of cumulative update that will take me to the current version in one go?

This whole process is so cumbersome that I would just say, "to heck with it", and leave my CR un-updated (as it currently is, I guess). But I can't get an Active-X control to work, and it was suggested that the first thing I needed to do was to update to the latest version of CR and see whether this fixed the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Lynda,

This Check for updates prompt when we try to run for any updates it throws some errors.

If you want to disable this option then you can go to the registry key In HKEY_Current_ UserSoftware-BusinessObjectsSiute11.5CrystalReportsBCG workspaceCheck for updates-Disable on start up-Double click on the file and set the value to 0.

Then you wont receive any updates.

Also you should Disable the option in crystal designer help--Uncheck the option Check for updates on start up.

So, we can avoid the updates.

Let me know if any.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Naveen. Is this something that we should do permanently or will the update service eventually be fixed?

Thanks,

Lynda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Lynda,

If we want to avoid the Service for updates when we run the crystal reports then we can do this.

Else we can have the check for update Enabled if we want what are the latest service or upgrades available through Internet explorer.

We can disable the option,if we think that we are not required for the latest updates.

Regards,

Naveen.