Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO with Windows SAPGUI and SAP on HP-UX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please assist me with configuring SSO for SAPGUI (on Windows) and SAP running on Unix(HP-UX).

I don't seem to find any documentation regarding this. Only Windows docs.

1) Do we need Kerberos?

2) Can we use the gssntlm.dll on Windows for Unix? I don't think so, what do we need on the Unix side?

Any instruction (How-To) would be appreciate.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David,

You will find if you search SDN there are many people who have asked the same question as you. The quick answer is that SAP supply SNC Kerberos libraries which are used if you SAP system is on Windows, but if you have SAP on UNIX or Linux servers you need to buy a commercial product from a SAP partner.

You don't need to use Kerberos, but I think this is the best technology since Active Directory is using this protocol to authenticate the user at the workstation, so using the same protocol allows you to use the same credentials and not authenticate the user again. Some people use a product which uses X.509 certificates, but I think you will find that most people with same requirements use products that implement the Kerberos protocol - it is simple to impelement, low cost, fits well with MS AD authentication, and secure.

If you research this on SDN and have any further questions please let me know. You can also check the vendors who provide such products by searching for SNC at http://www.sap.com/eapcatalog.

Thanks,

Tim

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> 2) Can we use the gssntlm.dll on Windows for Unix? I don't think so, what do we need on the Unix side?

The NTLM protocol is old and not recommended. In year 2000 Microsoft added Kerberos support to Active Directory and Windows 2000 operating system, so any release prior to Windows 2000 uses NTLM and releases of Windows such as 2000, 2003, 2008, Vista, XP all uses Kerberos to authenticate users.

Also, you will find that no vendor provides NTLM support for UNIX SAP systems.

> Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.