cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

We have ECC5 server on SQL database with windows 2003 server.

We are taking backups by SQL management studio on one portable harddisk.

Now I want to know if my system crashes accedently from OS level and I install fresh OS and then with same SID sap system then would i be able to make my system back in its last status with the help of that backup by restroing that backup by management studio.

I am also taking backup of Usr folder.

Should i also take backup of some other folders.

Please confirm.

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now I want to know if my system crashes accedently from OS level and I install fresh OS and then with same SID sap system then would i be able to make my system back in its last status with the help of that backup by restroing that backup by management studio.

Technically - yes.

> I am also taking backup of Usr folder.

Good!

> Should i also take backup of some other folders.

You also backup the registry?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Just want to confirm some more questions.

1-Some days back due to some support pack issue I restored my backup by SQL management studio then In Restore automatically findout my last backup location, now when my database would be crash and on fresh SQL database how will it find backup location like in oracle it take from sapbackup directory.Is there any parameter or any file in which i have to make changes before restore after installing fresh server.

2-As in oracle we can also restore that backup on different SID by homogeneous system copy creating new control file.How can do it in SQL.

3-Any other that needs to remember during taking backup and during restore like paging memory of the server we should take same or any other parameter.

Please suggest.

Shivam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Look following note as reference

Note 193816 - Restore with SQL Server

-> You can restore the database as different SID.

you need to take look at

Note 551915 - R/3 won't start after database restore or database copy

No

regards,

kaushal

Answers (0)