cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSAPUNDO does not extend

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there,

I am trying to install a 4.6C just for testing purpose using Oracle 10.2.0.4 / Kernel 4.6D EXT .. (with that insora-file for Oracle 10g) ..

I have created a PSAPUNDO Tablespace with 4 datafiles beginning with 2000M, AUTOEXTENDING with 20M up to Maxisze of 10000M.

Though the files stay at 2000M, the installation routine says, that there is not enough undo/rollback space. What has happened? Normally, files should extend ..

Does anyone has got a solution for this bizarre problem?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

which program generates the error?

What is the exact error message?

I would consider this to be a bug - so perhaps there is already a fix available.

regards,

Lars

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

do you still have PSAPROLL? Have you changed to AUM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suppose AUM is activated by default .. as I freshly installed a 10g database and this default starts with a 9i installation .. Furthermore, other tablespaces ARE extended ..

I deleted the PSAPROLL tablespace, also the datafiles for it including the directories and changed the initSID.ora parameter for PSAPUNDO -> entered the parameters of the latest Oracle 10g parameter recommendation note.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AUM is not activated by default because you are installing from a 4.6c CD set which was originally made to run on Oracle 8i. I know you got the 10g kit, but still, I believe it is still using PSAPROLL. To make sure , check initSID.ora file.

by deleting PSAPROLL, you did not help yourself. you lost all rollback segments except the one that is present in the SYSTEM tablespace. So, switch to AUM as soon as possible as per SAP note 600141. This can be done easily by editing initSID.ora and adding:

undo_tablespace = PSAPUNDO

undo_retention = 43200

undo_management = AUTO

restart DB and check if you still have old rollback segmnts:

select segment_name, tablespace_name, status

from dba_rollback_segs

where status = 'OFFLINE' and segment_name not like '_SYSSMU%$';

leave the one in SYSTEM alone, it must remain there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You seem to have your filesystems set with nolargefiles. Depending on the way filesystem has been created some will not grow beyond 2GB unless set with allow largefiles.

Try changing the File systems to allow largefile creation and see if the UNDO files are growing beyond 2GB, Way to do this would depend on the OS you are using.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sunil.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You seem to have your filesystems set with nolargefiles. Depending on the way filesystem has been created some will not grow beyond 2GB unless set with allow largefiles.

largefiles on windows? ntfs is a 64bit filesystem not really caring about 2 gb boundaries...on (older) unix implementation this might be an issue...

@Michael...plz check the sapnote mentioned (n° 600141) thoroughly...follow the steps (create undo tablespace, insert the parameters either into init.ora or spfile, drop the rollback segments, drop the rollback tablespaces etc.)

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey all,

Many thanks to all the answers in the meantime .. I have checked some of your hints and I think I have to offer more information:

My OS is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 2

I first installed my 10g database, then patched it to 10.2.0.4, then applied the interim patches V8.

I am not using a standard installation method - it is a systemcopy with an Export of about 120GB. I have manipulated my DBMIG.R3S File only for having a break while the installation. When I am at this point, I am creating the tablespaces by myself. For instance, I have created 5 temporary datafiles and 4 undo datafiles ..

initSID.ora is correct. As I have implemented the latest recommendations, of course the UNDO parameters are set as you proposed .. also the name of the tablespace is correct ..

After having executed your select SQL-Statement, it did not return anything. Without the WHERE-clause, it only showed my the SYSTEM and the _SYS**$ segments, ALL online!

So, I neither think I have problems with largefiles nor because it is an 4.6C installation. In any case, the UNDO-Tablespace Datafiles should be extended when there is more data than 2GB - and it definitly is.

So thanks again, but any more ideas what could be the reason??

Michael

Edited by: Michael Zetzsch on Sep 30, 2008 11:23 AM

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

question:

why did you create the tablespaces by yourself? why not let r3inst create the tablespaces...you can manipulate them later as you wish...

the sql statement should return something equal to this:

SEGMENT_NAME TABLESPACE_NAME STATUS

-

-

-

SYSTEM SYSTEM ONLINE

PRS_0 PSAPROLL OFFLINE

...etc.

but if you already deleted all rollback information (segments and tablespace) there will be no information to return after the sql statement...change to AUM as soon as possible...the sql statement for the undo tablesapces was...?

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created it by myself, as the routine does not provide sufficient means to create it like I want the tablespaces to be. For instance, I want to have the system, temp, undo files in sapdata1, psap... in sapdata2, psap<release> in sapdata3 and so on .. an it is much easier to create files and directories with a script than first installing it and then rearrange it .. of course I have changed the DDLORA.TPL too ..

According to the ORA-Code, I have to wait until I can write it down - now it is not possible .. But I think it was ORA-01555 snapshot-too-old .. not sure .. will write it down later on !

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the way - how can I see if AUM is activated? Only by the initSID.ora parameters or also with a sql command?

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SQL> show parameter undo

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

SQL> show parameter undo;

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
undo_management                      string      AUTO
undo_retention                       integer     43200
undo_tablespace                      string      PSAPUNDO

okay .. AUM activated .. THIS is not the problem I think ...

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yup, seems OK...the sql statement (creating undo) would be interesting

i myself used:

SQL> create undo tablespace PSAPUNDO datafile '/oracle/<SID>/sapdata19/undo_1/undo.data1' size 3072M reuse autoextend off;

plz check sapnote 1035137 concerning psapundo with autoextend feature....

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used:

CREATE UNDO
       TABLESPACE "PSAPUNDO"       DATAFILE 'J:\oracle\SID\sapdata1\undo_1\undo.data1'    SIZE 2000M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON  NEXT 20M MAXSIZE 10000M;
ALTER  TABLESPACE "PSAPUNDO"   ADD DATAFILE 'J:\oracle\SID\sapdata1\undo_2\undo.data2'    SIZE 2000M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON  NEXT 20M MAXSIZE 10000M;
ALTER  TABLESPACE "PSAPUNDO"   ADD DATAFILE 'J:\oracle\SID\sapdata1\undo_3\undo.data3'    SIZE 2000M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON  NEXT 20M MAXSIZE 10000M;
ALTER  TABLESPACE "PSAPUNDO"   ADD DATAFILE 'J:\oracle\SID\sapdata1\undo_4\undo.data4'    SIZE 2000M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON  NEXT 20M MAXSIZE 10000M;

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for installation purpose, I would revert to PSAPROLL. I believe that install scripts are checking for PRS rollback segments and not checking AUM undo segments.

when finished, convert to AUM with SAP note 600141.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But it does not matter whether rollback or undo .. it is database management and everything is configured properly .. I think it does not matter to the installation routine. it just communicates with the database and says "hey, put this data into your tablespaces" .. and the management with temp and undo belongs to the database ..

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in the original topicm, you said that you received an error from the installation program:

the installation routine says, that there is not enough undo/rollback space

This message comes from SAPINST, not Oracle. so, this is an error that SAPINST finds, not an Oracle error as per se.

Have you tried with PSAPROLL as suggested? I'm pretty sure it will fix your problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, a little bit embarrassing .. but finally found the problem.

I checked the wrong initSID.ora file .. in the corresponding initSID.ora file, the parameter undo_retention = 43200 was missing! I think the default is 1200 when it is not set, and that was the reason for my problem.

Thanks for all the answers!