cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with SAP system installation GUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I've installed SLES10 SP2 X86_64 without any problem. During the installation I marked "SAP desired" option to get SAPINIT package installed.

After initial settings of environment variables and all the stuff, I ran the SAP installation via ./sapinst command (as root). The system displayed proper notice:

guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection on host server, port 21200 to continue with the installation

but instead of displaying of SAPGUIInstallation on my local PC nothing happend. I use Putty with X11 forwarding option and Xming. Normally this works fine, but not now. I tried the XCLOCK - this works ok.

So I ran the ./sapinst in X11 directly on the server in ptty7. The SAPGUIInstallation came up. So I shut it down and kept trying to start the installation remotely. After 2hours I came back to X11 to check the SAPGUIInstalltion is still working .. and guess what - even there the GUI haven't been starting since.

Do you have any idea, what should be wrong or where should I look ?

Thank you in advance for ANY hint.

Rgds

Tomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

So further notes ...

The problems didn't stop .. of course. When I got to the point with JDK directory check, it didn't pass with SUN Java with following message:

"The JDK installed in directory /usr/lib/jvm/java does not support the 64bit data model. Choose a different JDK."

So the solution was to install IBM Java back to the server (JRE and DEVEL package). SUN Java JRE must stay on server and must be used in parameter SAPINST_JRE_HOME.

With this combination I was able to run the installation and also pass the JDK directory check.

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

So finally I solve the problem. There were 2 problems:

1) java version java-1_4_2-ibm-1.4.2_sr11 obviously doesn't work. When I removed it via YaST and installed SUN Java instead, all works fine.

2) There was another problem caused by applying of SAPNote 958253, which says:

After the installation has finished, please be aware of the double entry in the file "/etc/hosts" of the server name, when a network configuration has been done during the installation phase.

This double entry must be removed prior to installation of SAP or other 3rd party's software.

Before continueing with the further installation remove the following line in the file "/etc/hosts":

127.0.0. 2 <hostname>.<domain> <hostname>

where:

< hostname> is the used host name for the system, <domain> is the used domain name in which the system has been placed.

The trouble is, that SAPINST probably pings hostname and without proper record in /etc/hosts there is no installation. So I put there a line similar to localhost:

127.0.0.1 <hostname>

Hopefully my troubles ends here and I'll be able to install the system finally.

Thank Hannes for little clue regarding java version - more points added.

Rgds

Tom

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

there have been some minor issues with the sapinst / java / SLES10SP2 combination. You may already, but I still want to ask, if you already use the latest

• certified IBM JDK for Linux x86_64 (SR10)

• sapinst from the service marketplace

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hannes,

here are answers for you points:

- java-1_4_2-ibm-1.4.2_sr11

- sapinst (of SAP SolMan) from SAP Package official delivery (with SAP NetWeaver04S SP3)

There is one more note to be mentioned:

the true is, that when I try to run ./startInstGui.sh (from the same directory as sapinst binary - it comes togethere on Installation Master DVD) .. I get following error:

Java Runtime found in SAPINST_JRE_HOME environment variable

Path: /usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin/java

Start mode: gui (GUI only)

Connection parameters:

GUIServer host: localhost

GUIServer port: 21212

Starting...

<<< frog.jar: version 5.4.5 10/19/05 sap.theme: null >>>

Warning: Cannot convert string "--lucida-medium-r--------*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:85)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:58)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:391)

at com.sap.sdt.util.misc.MethodCall.invoke(MethodCall .java:82)

at com.sap.sdt.util.misc.BootStrapper.start(BootStrap per.java:107)

at SDTGui.main(SDTGui.java:46)

Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: java/langNullPointerException

So if the "startInstGui.sh" is run on the background after the GUIserver initialization (previous post), it also probably dumps. I just can not find the log about that.

I guess I should solve this exception first .. only thing is I dont know how

Any ideas ?

Thank you !

Tomas

former_member227600
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are installing from a remote terminal than you have to export the display varible. Run the following command before run ./sapinst

export DISPLAY =IP address of your local System : 0.0

karan