cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validations in MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM guru's,

I am just 1 month old in MDM with ABAP background. I have few questions regarding MDM Validations--

We use flat files(Text) to load data into MDM. I have a secnerio -- When sending Vendors Data into MDM, it shuld not syndicate the records which does not have some Mandatory fields data other than Key fields data into other ERP system.

Key fields - Compy code & Partner No.

Mandatory fields - Currency , Map fileds ect.

Can you guide me how to validate the data when records are send into system and also it shuld trigger error message & send notification to user/Admin, that set of records does not have data in some Mandatory fields.

Can you please guide me and also with some of validation documents

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Srihari Reddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A). Do you want an email to be sent when Records are Imported?

B). Do you want an email to be sent when records are syndicated?

C). Do you want an email to be sent when certain fields in your repository design have NULLS and are not supposed to have them?

If you want to acheive something like this :

1) send a record for syndication only if it has all the required fields populated.

Try This: Create a Dummy field Synd(Y/N). Assign thie field Y only if all the fields you want are not NULL.

2) Send an email if bunch of fields are NULL.

Try This: Run a workflow with Notify step on synd(Y/N) field with an email sent for all N.

I guess it is not a good idea to validate as part of Import Workflow , obvious performance penalty and you will never know which records didn't go through, or atleast won't have a chance to correct them, get all the data into repository , work out on it in the data manager, either using validations/worflow, assignments.

-Hope thie helps

-Sudhir.

-Sudhir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srihari,

Please follow the below steps:

1. Create the workflow in data manager and complete the design part i.e. create the complete workflow. Set the Trigger Action = Record Import

2. Open the Import Manager and perform all the mapping part and save the map.

3. Now go to configuration options and select the workflow name for the property Checkout / Workflow present under the Import section.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't have the option for selecting Workflow name in the Configutaions --> Options --> Checkout/Workflow --> None/ Checkout.

I am using MDM 5.5 SP06

Regards

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

If you perform all the steps mentioned in the above post you should get the workflowname because it is working at my end. After creating the entire workflow close the data manager and now open the Import Manager. If your Import Manager was already running close and reopen it. Also select the tables from the drop down list i.e. Source and Destination tables, perform the mapping & matching then check whether workflow name is visible in Configuration options or not.

Regards,

JItesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srihari,

If you have created a workflow in MDM data manager ,under the workflow table name and save it correctly,thne you shuld be bale to select the workflow name from the Import manager Configuration options.

Just cross check the following:

- In MDM Data manager,select the workflows table in the top left corner.

- Check if you can see the the workflow name that you have created.

- Click on the MS Visio property pane and open it

- Check if you can see the saved workflow correctly as per your design with all the stencils and the propert pane visible.

- Also check if you have kept the trigger action as Record Import(select only one trigger action for testing ie record Import)

- Also check if you have kept the Auto launch property set to Immediate.

- In import manager either open a saved map if you are using one or else if not then select the sorce and destination tables and perform the mapping for importing (workaround)

- Then open the configuration options Configutaions --> Options --> Checkout/Workflow --> None/ Checkout and see if you the workflow you have build is visible or not.

- It shold be visible nad enabled for selection.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srihari ,

To add to....

While creating MDM Validations you have an option to either make your validation as an Error,Warning or None

Error: This will not allow the user to proceed withour correctly the error.So if youa re chking for a mandatory validation using IS_NOT_NULL expression for any field,then MDM will not allow you to continue till you fill in a not null value in that field.

Warning:This will throw you a warning message but will allow you to proceed with warnings

None:This is used when you wnat to run a validation on a set of specific records ,eg in a workflows

MDM valiation expression are formed by selecting the Fields nad conditions from teh expression dialogue box.So it is very easy to use,,.

You can frame your expression as per the requirement just by using simple logics which is used when creating validation sin any language.

You can check for mandatory validations by using <Field name> Is_NOT_NULL expression.

and set its staus as error,warning or none.

Also you have a provision to write a user defined message to throw up when the user have failed the validation.

All you hvae to do is create a Validation in MDM data manager and fill in its properties which will cover it all.

Then you can use this validation in a branch step in the MDM workflow to chk for only the corrected records to move on

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's

I had created validations and also created a workflow for it, but now i am not able to trigger a notification e-mail.

Actually we use Smart FTP for importing records into MDM. I want it to be triggered when importing thru MDIS and not a manual Import.

Can you guys help me please.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Please specify the trigger action as Record Import for you workflow in workflow table.

For sending email notification; you need to use notify step in your workflow after validating the records. For sending emails from MDM please specify you mail server name in mds.ini file; only then MDM will be able to send emails to the user.

Please refer the below blog; this will give you a very good idea on sending email notifications through workflows:

Please use trigger action as Record Import rather than manual.

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi srihari,

If you are looking for triggering workflow at the time of records import then in Import Manager Configurations option you need to pass the workflow name for the entry Checkout/Workflow and save the map. Now when you use the same map for MDIS then it will automatically trigger the workflow when import gets started.

If you want to send Email notification then you need to make the entry of mail server in mds.ini file against the entry Mail Server present under your repository section and restart the server once.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

How to save the workflow name in Import manager. I do find any option to enter customize text in the configurations options. Could you please help are send me any link to Documents.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Create a workflow in Data Manager and set the Trigger Action = Record Import. Now Open the Import Manager and select Configuration Options, You will find a entry Checkout / Workflow and there all the workflows which will going to trigger on record import will be available. Select the desired workflow and save the map. Saved map also stores the configuration settings.You can verif this by opening the saved map and check the configuration settings.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Sorry to Bug you more but, i don't find any options in the configuration tab of Import manager other than None & checkout.

SO, i am not understanding where can i find out the the save workflow name.

Kindly bear with me .

Thanks

Srihari Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Its under Import section.

Open the Import manager and select Configuration -> Options

Under the Import Section there is a parameter Checkout/Workflow, there you have to select the workflow name from the drop down list.

Which version you are using?

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1)define Workflow and select the trigger action on Record Import.

2)In Configuration Option menu You can see the 3 options

None,CheckOut,Workflow

3)Then Save the map.

You can refer

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/38/fe55f653c1431b9786a77e27cafcf6/content.htm

Regards

Nisha

Edited by: Nisha L on Sep 30, 2008 3:24 PM

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Firstly welcome to MDM,

1) I have few questions regarding MDM Validations--

A) Toooo many questions man.

2) We use flat files(Text) to load data into MDM. I have a scenario -- When sending Vendors Data into MDM, it should not syndicate the records which does not have some Mandatory fields data other than Key fields data into other ERP system.

A) You can create a Named search or a Mask, while creating them you can set those Mandatory fields as not null in Free Form search, and then syndicate that Mask or Named search

3) Can you guide me how to validate the data when records are send into system and also it should trigger error message & send notification to user/Admin, that set of records does not have data in some Mandatory fields.

A) You can simply use validations here, but as u even want email notification then you should prefer a workflow, add a branch statement and pass a validation, the records which does not satisfy your requirement set and assignment field as failed and keep a notify step to send an mail notification.

4) Link for validations

A) Validations are Excel like expressions, just look at the drop down list provided with different table, fields and functions you will understand it.. Or follow the link of Data Manger for validations

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/7876e4869b6fcbe10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Cheers,

Cherry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

AS per your requirement create Validation in Data Manager for key and mandatory field checking that they are not null using IS_NOT_NULL function.Include these ina single goup.

Define a workflow.Start-Branch-Notify-Stop

In Branch step specify the name of the validation group If it fails it shud go to Notify(default) or Stop step.

In trigger action of Workflow put as Record import so whenever records are imported from text file it will throw error if it fails mandatory check.

You can refre

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90990743-91c0-2a10-fd8f-fad371c7...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60fd28c5-62ea-2a10-2093-be4fedf1...

Regards

Nisha

Edited by: Nisha L on Sep 29, 2008 12:28 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srihari,

Please use this validation:

IS_NOT_NULL(Currency) AND IS_NOT_NULL(Map fields) AND IS_NOT_NULL(Company Code) AND IS_NOT_NULL(Partner No.)

Now create a workflow in workflow table and set it's trigger action as Record Import --> set Auto Launch property as Immediate --> now call this validation in that workflow and using Notify step in workflow you can send an email to user/admin and notify him that some records does not have data in mandatory fields.

The record can also be sent in an email by which the user will come to know that which record does not have data in it's mandatory fields.

Regards,

Varun