cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Main Instance in Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I read many times we have Main Instances for satelite system in Solution Manager.

Actually what is it ?

Thank you

Halomoan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the main instance as seen in SMSY is for the selection of the kind of product youhave for your sap netweaver.

I classifies the type of the system you added

The system you added could be ABAP instance od r the BI server or whatever fromthe options present.

Let us know if any other details are required.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Halomoan,

Well, I am not sure about the main instance that you are talking. However, as far as the satellite systems in solution manager concern, the remote system, which is included in SolMan for getting benefits like Maintenance optimizer, EarlyWatch Alert, Service Desk.

In order to get these benefits, first, the satellite system should be maintained in Solution Manager system landscape, using SMSY.

For more information please visit the following links.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/en/45/51fbdbd4941803e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/rkt-solman

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Satish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I mean the main instance when we create a new system in Solution Manager.

I read from here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/en/9c/efa9068cce4149a40d7991ad2113f3/content.htm

Regards,

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Halomoan,

Well, the Main instance which you are talking about is nothing but Central Instance. Now read the following lines which I have taken from the link which you have given.

In the system landscape, the Solution Manager derives the relevant main instances from the selected product, and displays them below the system in the overview tree. The SAP product definition of a main instance is an independently-installable entity. The ABAP-based main instance is automatically flagged as relevant.

Hope it is clear now.

Cheers,

Satish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish

These statements confused me

"the Solution Manager derives the relevant main instances from the selected product"

and

"The SAP product definition of a main instance is an independently-installable entity"

Do you have example of relationship between product and main instance?

Thank you

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Say for instance if u create a system in smsy of type sap netwaver the main instance for the same could be any of the list provided like ABABP server /EP/BI.

A net weaver product can be either of it -- an BI/EP

If ur selected product is XI you cannot have the main instance to be EP/BI etc..

thus the main instance is derived from the product type.

Does this make any logic to you..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Mayank

I have to admit, it is not clear.

Regards,

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Halomoan,

Well, I think the following should clear your doubts.

Here, I am giving you an example of creating a new system in SolMan System Landscape.

--> Goto SMSY

--> Right click on Systems from System Landscape tab select Create new system with Assistant.

--> Click on Continue.

--> Enter SID, Description, Select Product from the list and version in the following list. Enter the installation number.

--> Click on Continue. Here I am selecting SAP Solution Manager as Product and Solution Manager 4.0 as version.

Now, you will see the following list with the check boxes next to it to choose.

SAP Solution Manager

Plug Ins for Satellite Systems

Solution Manager Diagnostics

Agents for Satellite Systems

If you choose SAP Solution Manager, and Plug Ins for Satellite Systems it will give you an error saying Only one ABAP main instance can be flagged as relevant. So, only one ABAP system it lets you choose.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

Cheers,

Satish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

the basic goes like

sap netweaver is platform and on this platform you can have any functionality working whether its EP/BI/ECC or whatever.

SO when a system is added as an netweaver it could have any one main functionality..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes, that's clear. But why just only one main functionality (main instance).

If I have a NW installed with ECC, CRM and EP, then I just only have to choose 1 main instance and leave the others unmonitor ?

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

have tou installed only one netweaver server for all the 3 functionalitites.

One system would be having one SIDand so I guess you would be having 3 SID's for the 3 functionalities ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Actually in my system I have ECC with BW and I know they are in one SID, one sap instance and one physical server.

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

thats a good case

yes this is possible and I guess u have a BI cont addon istalled seperately on SCC.

Anyways in SMSY u have an option to add the system as sap netweaver and then in main instance u can select both

abap application server and BI (business intelligence)

does this help ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

I followed the Satish's way, I found it made thing clear.

Point is granted for Satish.

But thank you for all who spent effort to help me.

Regards,

Halomoan