cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Kernel Update Permition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears:

When you use the account root to extract the SAP latest kernel in the HP unix, and before or after you cover the old kernel with the new one. If you need to do any property of the kernel files. For exampe, change the file owner to as the following sample.

chown ora<sid> brarchive brbackup brconnect brtools

chmod 4775 brarchive brbackup brconnect brtools

chmod 755 brrestore (owner is <sid>adm)

chmod 755 brrecover (owner is <sid>adm)

chmod 755 libsbt.* (owner is <sid>adm)

chmod 755 sapdba (owner is <sid>adm)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bach,

Copy your existing kernel and remove all files in kernel directory. Now copy all the new kernel files as sidadm user. Change the permission and ownership of br* files to orasid as was for the older files.

Run root.sh file in the new kernel with root user id. It will change the permissions as required.

Once the above is done as a final confirmation compare the permissions of all the new kernel files with your old kernel files.

Let us know any issues.

Regards,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

you can use any user u wants to, but that user should have rights to read and write host and target locations and files.

if you would not use -p option while copying files to target location where your existing kernel is. it automatically will take all permissions and rights of target files. i.e. for copy command.

cp -R <host_files> <target_location>

thanks,

nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears:

Thanks for your reply about my questions. After i read all your reply, i have some confuse about some of the answer.

1. What is root.sh? What is the function is it? Where can i execute it? My system is HP Unix.

2. When you download the kernel file from SAP website, and upload it to the SAP server. After you use the

sapcar to extract the kernel file, you need to change the owner and the permission of each file first or

not? If yes, you need to do the compare between each kernel file and extract download files?

3. I check that some command is chmod 4755, and some is chmod 755. Is there any different from 4775

and 755? I chek their format is like these:

4775----

-rwsrwxr-x

755----

-rwxr-xr-x

4. If you have detail procedure about how to do the kernel upgrade, can you show me?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bach,

You are absolutely on the right path, nothing to worry.

Download the kernel from SMP (/swdc). Upload the new kernel to a temp directory on ur app server.

Now,

1. Take a backup of ur existing kernel directory.

2. As user root or <sid>adm replace the old kernel by the new kernel.

3. Check the following guide (Security on UNIX/Linux NW04S) and set the permissions as per pg# 9 of this guide.

https://websmp108.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700000485892007E

4. Now only for certain br*tools u will need to change the permission as this is important so that both ora<sid> and <sid>adm can use it to perform DBA activities from DB13. Set it to permissions as mentioned in the SAP Note below.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/113747

lastly, to answer your quetion no 4775 and 775 is not the same, the 4 helps the s-bit to be switched on and helps to prevent the errors mentioned in the sap note below.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/651351

Hope, this answers all your queries. Pls award suitably.

- Regards, Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can mantain the permission '755' and owner 'sidadm' for all files of the kernel.If you execute root.sh file it will not make changes to all files of the kernel.

Thanks,

Satyabrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

theh best way to set the proper permissions is to run the script root.sh after the kernel upgrade with root as user id to run the script

Edited by: Mayank Ashok Garg on Sep 29, 2008 8:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would recomend to you to use <SID>ADM for the upgrade all permission will be take care by the <SID>adm.

regards

pankaj prasoon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj Prasoon :

Thanks for your reply, but it seems that the owner of the file brarchive,brbackup,brconnect,brtools should be orasid. If as you said, all the kernel files will be under the owner of sidadm. There will be no file owner of orasid, if there will be any problem if do like that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After you have installed/updated to the latest Brtools version, you need to check the owner and group are correct for the files. You will need to manually adjust them if necessary. Check note 12741.

Cheers!

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Bach,

Since it is oracle Binaries you should use ORA<SID> as the user id for upgrade, If they are sap binaries then user SAP<SID>

regards

Pankaj Prasoon