Backup strategy for ECC 6 on Windows 2003 server with 2005 SQL server
I have a requirement from the scratch to build a backup strategy for our SAP system. i never worked on SQL server before so i have few question in this regards my setup is as follow
MS window 2003 server
ECC 6 (ides for development system) (i have one more system [ides for demo] i need to include into backup
SQL server 2005
Company : it is consulting firm and according to me i can take weekly backup strategy or is there better recommendation? as we dont have a big development team its 3-4 people in development and its not much.
1. I want to take full backup of the Windows 2003 server system where sap is installed, requirement is to restore SAP system in case something happen to system. So i m wondering if i need to use Ghost or Imaging technique to make a image or is there any other more preferred way to do this?
2. I want to design a backup strategy for the company accoring to me weekly or twice a week would be sufficient for now or if there is better way please specify.
3. I want to know is it better to take backup on Disk or i should demand a tape device and tape drives as the size would be about ECC 6 ides database and redo log files size, is there better way to check database size?. And incase i demand tape device and tape what would be the recommended tape device (IBM or ..) and tape size?
4. Where can i find the file INIT<SAPSID>.SAP as in oracle its under oracle/.../ but i m not able to find the same under MSSQL, can i know the profile file from SAP system?
5. What is the equivalent of MKSYS in AIX on window 2003 to copy the structure of database for later use, incase i need to restore the database.
6. what other backups i need to take care like DB backup/RMAN backup/Sap DB backup? and do i need to distribute backup to other place to the so call displacment backup strategy(my own term to send backup tape to other city/location for emergency).
7. what should be the restore strategy in case of accident?
i know it might be a material of 5-6 questions but i didt find much info on these topics from SQL server prospectus.
i will appreciate your any reply.
Plan your backup strategy for SQL server on windows with following note
Note 44449 - Backup strategies with the SQL server
you need to take online backup everyday in case of production server.
so at a time of restore you can restore the data without losing any data.
for sap on windows it's required to take full DB backup and file system for sap i.e /usr folder for recover complete sap system restore.
if in case like restoring SAP system in other server required full DB backup and then after you need to follow the Homogeneous system copy guide ( DB specific procedure for SQL server)