cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy for ECC 6 on Windows 2003 server with 2005 SQL server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a requirement from the scratch to build a backup strategy for our SAP system. i never worked on SQL server before so i have few question in this regards my setup is as follow

MS window 2003 server

ECC 6 (ides for development system) (i have one more system [ides for demo] i need to include into backup

strategy Eventually)

SQL server 2005

Company : it is consulting firm and according to me i can take weekly backup strategy or is there better recommendation? as we dont have a big development team its 3-4 people in development and its not much.

1. I want to take full backup of the Windows 2003 server system where sap is installed, requirement is to restore SAP system in case something happen to system. So i m wondering if i need to use Ghost or Imaging technique to make a image or is there any other more preferred way to do this?

2. I want to design a backup strategy for the company accoring to me weekly or twice a week would be sufficient for now or if there is better way please specify.

3. I want to know is it better to take backup on Disk or i should demand a tape device and tape drives as the size would be about ECC 6 ides database and redo log files size, is there better way to check database size?. And incase i demand tape device and tape what would be the recommended tape device (IBM or ..) and tape size?

4. Where can i find the file INIT<SAPSID>.SAP as in oracle its under oracle/.../ but i m not able to find the same under MSSQL, can i know the profile file from SAP system?

5. What is the equivalent of MKSYS in AIX on window 2003 to copy the structure of database for later use, incase i need to restore the database.

6. what other backups i need to take care like DB backup/RMAN backup/Sap DB backup? and do i need to distribute backup to other place to the so call displacment backup strategy(my own term to send backup tape to other city/location for emergency).

7. what should be the restore strategy in case of accident?

i know it might be a material of 5-6 questions but i didt find much info on these topics from SQL server prospectus.

i will appreciate your any reply.

Regards

Mani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. I want to take full backup of the Windows 2003 server system where sap is installed, requirement is to restore SAP system in case something happen to system. So i m wondering if i need to use Ghost or Imaging technique to make a image or is there any other more preferred way to do this?

If itu00B4s just for a restore then imaging technology is sufficient. If you use third party backup tools make sure you backup the registry too.

> 2. I want to design a backup strategy for the company accoring to me weekly or twice a week would be sufficient for now or if there is better way please specify.

The backup strategy is defined by the company policy, there is not "best way".

> 3. I want to know is it better to take backup on Disk or i should demand a tape device and tape drives as the size would be about ECC 6 ides database and redo log files size, is there better way to check database size?. And incase i demand tape device and tape what would be the recommended tape device (IBM or ..) and tape size?

If you want to use a tape backup I suggest you contact your hardware vendor to offer you a product that matches for your environment.

> 4. Where can i find the file INIT<SAPSID>.SAP as in oracle its under oracle/.../ but i m not able to find the same under MSSQL, can i know the profile file from SAP system?

No "init<sid>.sap" on SQL Server ,that is Oracle specific. SQL server uses the tape directly.

> 5. What is the equivalent of MKSYS in AIX on window 2003 to copy the structure of database for later use, incase i need to restore the database.

There is no such equivalent. Windows is a different operating system with very different concepts.

> 6. what other backups i need to take care like DB backup/RMAN backup/Sap DB backup? and do i need to distribute backup to other place to the so call displacment backup strategy(my own term to send backup tape to other city/location for emergency).

- operating system (including registry and file ACLs)

- database itself

- \usr\sap

> 7. what should be the restore strategy in case of accident?

see above

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

No "init<sid>.sap" on SQL Server ,that is Oracle specific. SQL server uses the tape directly.

thanks a lot markus, i have few doubts

then where can i change the parameter for backup in case i need to setup a remote backup procedure or if want to take backup on my Hard disk. i mean is there any alternative file to INIT<SID>.sap where i can configure it as my requirement?

i think rest of the points are almost clear what are the questions i should ask the company to help them come up with a good backup strategy as they are novice in that?

thanks

Mandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you are planning to take backup on disk then check following thread.

Using DB13 tcode you can schedule full online backup weekly.

backup via transaction DB13 is quite simple:

• Call the transaction DB13

• Choose the 'ADD' button of the calendar

• Now you get a popup, where you can select various kinds of jobs via listbox

• Choose the backup you want to execute (e.g. backup to device/backup to TSM)

• Set the backup parameters, e.g. set the device name, choose backup option like 'Online/Offline', 'Including Logs' etc.

• Set the start time

Then add it

you can check backup log using tcode DB12,

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kaushal,

thanks a lot for the reply and wonderfull link. i am sticking at some of the points

1. As per company policy they want to take full SAP offline + Redo log files backup once every two week and twice a week the differential backup. I suggested them the differential backup twice a week but now i have a question in mind since i never done it practically Do i need to have anything else like Log file to restore the Differential backup apart from full SAP backup or i can restore data with only Full SAP backup and differential backup.

2. I am not much familiar with Windows 2003 server backup, If i take full Widows 2003 server backup will i be able to restore windows server along with installed SAP and all other software in case something happen to my server.

if the answer is yes what are the pre-requisite if there be any to do the same. from the pre-requisite i mean do i need to be on same hardware as my previous server was or i can restore it on any other system too.

i will appreciate any reply on the same.

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Plan your backup strategy for SQL server on windows with following note

Note 44449 - Backup strategies with the SQL server

you need to take online backup everyday in case of production server.

so at a time of restore you can restore the data without losing any data.

for sap on windows it's required to take full DB backup and file system for sap i.e /usr folder for recover complete sap system restore.

if in case like restoring SAP system in other server required full DB backup and then after you need to follow the Homogeneous system copy guide ( DB specific procedure for SQL server)

regards,

kaushal

Answers (0)