Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Web Services (Non-QaaWS Type)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also posted this on the BoB forum.

I'm trying to have Xcelsius consume a web service that is built using Visual Studio 2008. But whenever I try to add the web service connection to the data manager it fails returning an error "Unable to load URL" .. --However, I am able to consume the web service in other applications successfully (i.e., excel).

After researching the SAP/BO case forums, it seems the issue is due the Web Service not being of a "Single Schema" and the recommended resolution is to use BO's Query as a web service.

The problem I have is we don't own BO XI to use Qaaws, the only tools I have are Xcelsius and Visual Studio. Short of purchasing the BI XI, can Xcelsius talk directly with Visual Studio Web Services ?

Any help is appreciated..

-

Business Objects Case Thread

1240174 - Web services created with multiple schema throws

Symptom :

Error "unable to load URL" when importing new URL in Xcelsisus

Error when using multiple schema created web service in Xcelsius

Reproducing the Issue

Launch Crystal Xcelsius 4.5 or 2008

Click Data tab

Click Connections tab

Click Add

Click Web Service connection

Enter the web service URL created in WSDL URL

Click Import to see the following error: "Unable to Load URL"

Environment :

Xcelsius 4.5 or 2008

Web Service URL created from SQL 2005, PHP Scripts or SOAP

Cause

Product Limitation

Xcelsisus support only single schema web service.

Web service created from PHP script, SQL 2005 or SOAP are based on multiple schemas.

Resolution

Create web service using Flynet

Create web service using Query as web service

The above create single schema web services which are supported in Xcelsius

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is possible to do this with non-qaaws web services - particularly .NET. I'm fairly certain this must have something to do with the way it is currently written.

Here is an example of a .net web temperature conversion service that does work in Xcelsius.

http://www.w3schools.com/webservices/tempconvert.asmx?WSDL

W3Schools has a good tutorial on it also:

http://www.w3schools.com/webservices/ws_use.asp

I don't know for sure what you are experiencing but think you could make it work if you format the parameters and output in a similar manner. I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Pat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

Thanks that was very helpful info..

Actually, I'm making some progress. It turns out that my web service was UnTyped and as soon as I switched it to a Typed Web Service I now can import it into Xcelsius. I don't get the URL error, and I am able to then see my input parameters and I can see the output headers.

The only thing I'm stuck on is when I preview my dashboard it does not return any data. However, it works well in Excel.

I think I'm getting closer.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm glad to hear you are making progress. As long as your web service outputs one set of records I would think this should work. I'm not sure what else to recommend...maybe simplify and build up again? I'm sure you've been all over this though.