cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DTW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am trying to use DTW to update a Price List.

In the process, I am trying to move the .txt files from my desktop to the server location where DTW browses to pull up the import file.

I am using a Remote Desktop Connection from my computer.

However, when I try to copy and paste the .txt file from my computer to the server via Remote Desktop Connection it won't work.

I have done this before but, must be age, cannot seem to remember how to do this again. Please advise.

Basically -- how do I get a file onto the server via Remote Desktop Connection.

Thanks!!

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196647
Contributor
0 Kudos

hey mike,,

its so simple...

when u used remote desktop connection ...there r five tabs..

out of five tabs ..select third tab..( local resources)

in this window

at local devises catogory

tick on Disc drives option

then try 2 copy paste option ....

its working....

gud luck..

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the simplest way to do the job. Thank you, Rahul!

Adding to the Local Resource tab, we may need to click on More to see the Drive option. Then we can select Drives. In this way, local drives are available to RDP as part of Other drives.

I am sure Rahul's answer can be used to close this thead.

Thanks,

Gordon

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike,

This is what you need to do...

Go to Start > Run and enter your Server name or IP Address with two backslashes before them

example:

\\B1Server    or    \\192.168.0.12

This will either prompt you a login window where you should enter the user id and password that you used to login via Remote Desktop. Now you should see a list of shared folders on the Server. Drop your txt file into one of the folder and then go into the Remote Desktop session and grab the file from there.

If you need to see the whole desktop on the Server you could also try

\\B1Server\C$   or    \\192.168.0.12\C$

What the C$ does is it will display all the folders in te C drive on the server and not just the shared folders

Instead of Start > Run..you could also type the same on the IE window

Best wishes

Suda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

The options you have:

1. Share one of your folder on your desktop and map the folder from RDP. You can copy files just like local.

2. If the file is not too big, you can open your text file by notebook. Select all and Copy. Then go to the RDP to open notebook with a new file and Paste. Save the file with the proper name.

3. If the above doesn't work, the long way will be going through email. That should work in any circumstances

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

I like the first option -- how do we do that?

I actually don't remember that as the process I had used originally -- I thought I just copied and pasted to the Remote Desktop but clearly that doesn't seem to be working.

Is there another process that may work. If not, first option looks really good - just need to know how that can be done.

Thanks!!

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Share the local folder under windows explorer by right click on the folder you need to share. Select Share and Security. Then choose Share this Folder.

Then go to the Remote Desktop. Select Tools - Map Network Drive under windows explorer. Map your shared folder.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gordon -- started to try your mapping method. Got all the way to the mapping part - but could not find my computer in the list.

However, I think my memory is coming back!!!

I think what I did in the past is I used Internet Explorer -- then I typed an address in the address bar. Only problem is I don't remember specifically what I had typed into the address bar.

Is there a way to connect to our server using IE? If so, can anyone give me an example of what they have typed into the address bar to make the connection -- I think I may remember from there.

Thanks!

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case, you are using ftp under web browser. That need to know the user name and web address to start with.