cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just purchase Crystal Reports and it came with 4 cd's, 2 Crystal Reports Server and 2 Crystal Reports. My question is:

Does Crystal Reports Server need to be installed on a server or can it reside on a workstation? I have only one user that will be creating Crystal Reports.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It can be installed on any machine that has a supported OS.

CRS XI R2 also works without issues on XP (which I presume is installed on the workstation).

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just install Crystal Reports on the user's computer. No worries about the server install.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks for the reply. What would the server give me that Crystal Reports alone does not?

Thanks,

Lisa

Former Member
0 Kudos

CRS would allow you to upload reports created using Crystal Reports to a repository (a central location that other users can access). I presume you have more than one license for CRS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I only have one license for it. Would that mean if he put the reports into a repository the other users would need Crystal Reports to view the reports?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. Users do not need Crystal Reports(CR) to view the report. CR is only needed to modify the report.

Users can logon to the repository (CRS) to download the report(s) to CR if they need to modify reports. CRS also allows users to schedule reports, automate reports to email/other locations, view reports online etc.

If you have only one license, I presume it's a named user license.i.e. only a specific user can logon to CRS. You could create one user for CRS and share the credentials amongst all your users. Unfortunately this also means that all your users could modify reports (not necessarily a good idea).

To summarize, if you use CRS, users do not need CR to view reports. CR is only needed to modify reports.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for all your assistance.