cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding a space in a string

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have quite a few different text fields that are of varying length - some examples are:

"F.S. 196 requires beneficial use of property by homestead recipient on January 1st of assessment roll for which it is claimed. Subject property is currently rented. No response from property owner to rental letter sent by property appraiser. "

and

"Unable to determine residency of applicant pursuant to F.S. 196.011."

I am trying to get this text to display on multiple lines, but the first line is shorter than the following ones; it only should fit about 45-50 characters (that number includes spaces). Therefore, the first example I gave should read

"F.S. 196 requires beneficial use of property by" on the first line, but the second would read

"Unable to determine residency of applicant".

I cannot just write a simple LEFT() formula and I don't want to write a ton of IF-THEN statements, and for the life of me I can't remember how to find a space in a string, especially if it's not just a two word string with a single space.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Holly,

If you don't want to use left() function and if statements then I think it is better to fix the Text objects size with some width and uncheck the option "Can Grow" by right clicking the object>Format Field>Common Tab-->Can Grow.

Do the same for the other text field also so that both the text fields are of same width and will show only the data that exist in that width.

Regards,

Raghavendra

Answers (0)