cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determination and update of master data attribute in DP

geir_kronkvist1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, we have the following business requirement: Upon importing the demand history into an APO-DP info-cube, we should determine the XYZ-indicator for each product, where the X, Y and Z indicator depends on the past consumption pattern (number of months with consumption). The result of the XYZ indicator determination must be stored either as a characteristic or as a master data attribute. This depends on whether we need to calculate both the cross-location XYZ indicator and the location-level XYZ-indicator. Probably we will need to calculate both. What I am looking for is a convenient way to do this calculation and update. The XYZ indicator will be used for assignment of forecast profile. Obivously we could build an ABAP program, but we want to avoid that if possible.

The business wanted us to handle this requirement via a macro, so that they could easily adjust the rules for calculating the XYZ indicator. Unfortunately I was not able to see how the characteristic / attribute could be updated from a macro.

One possible way I thought of was, assuming that we store the XYZ indicator as a characteristic in the info-cube rather than a master data attribute, do the calculation in an update rule between the initial info-cube and a "duplicate" info-cube where the XYZ indicator only is populated in the "duplicate" info-cube.

Anyone faced a similar requirement and have good ideas on how to handle it without going the ABAP route?

Kind regards,

Geir Kronkvist

Edited by: Geir Kronkvist on Sep 26, 2008 11:53 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Best way to do it as update as a characteristic in the info-cube ; do the calculation in an update rule between the initial loading into infocube.

Also update field into material and location master as additional field.

(you can configure additiona field into APO spro than populate it with right value.)

than you can update those field through MASSD for future changes if any.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geir.

An alternative approach could be to calculate the value and store in one of the additional attributes of the product/location master (if you're using them).

Macro function MATLOC_EXTRA() would allow you to do this.

Hope this helps, M.

geir_kronkvist1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I tried using the additional product master attribute and wrote a macro that set the value according to our business logic. I also included the additional product master attribute as a navigational attribute to the product master in our planning area. So far so good. However when I try to assign the forecast profile, I just realized that it can only be done based on characteristics in the planning object structure and not on navigational attributes.

This leads me to the conclusion that we either need to incorporate the XYZ indicator as a characteristic in the planning object structure, or write a new program for forecast profile assignment.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Geir Kronkvist