cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro ABAP -> Java stack required?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

We are currently planning an upgrade to ECC 6.0 and Netweaver 2004s. A source of debate during this planning has been whether or not to install the Java stack in our upgraded system.

I'm an ABAP developer, so I'm really looking forward to using Web Dynpro ABAP. Does anyone know if the Java stack is required to effectively use Web Dynpro ABAP? It seems like the two should be independent...but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!!

Chad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No, you do not need the java stack to run WDA applications. It runs purely on the ABAP stack. You can develop your WDA app in SE80 and run it. It will run in a browser from the ABAP stack. If you have a portal, then you know that this runs on the java stack. Also, your portal is probably not running on the same box as your backend ERP system. If you running a portal, I would suggest installing both the java stack as well as the ABAP stack for you portal to run on. Then you will be able to use WDA to create applications to run in your portal.

So to sum up, the portal runs on the java side, if you have both stacks running under your portal you can development WDA and WDJ applications, which both can run on that same engine. To answer you question, you DON'T need the java stack to develop and run your WDA application, but if you want it to run in a portal, then you need a java stack to run the portal on top of. This can be a completly separate box and a standalone java stack. Did I confuse you even more?

REgards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Rich. No confusion here - your response makes perfect sense. Thanks!!

Chad