Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge dimension issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Need help on this

Issue:

The issue is in using the u2018Merge Dimensionsu2019 utility. After I merge the two results based on the dimension they share in common, I get duplicate rows.

Background:

Universe #1 and Universe #2 have a dimension in common u2013 UCS ID. The user builds a query against Universe #1 and brings back the distinct UCS ID and the UCS Name. He builds a second query against Universe #2. The query brings back UCS ID and passenger count.

The results of query #1 are:

UCS ID UCS NAME

=====================

257 Motorola

5 AON Service Corporation

6 Altria Client Services Inc

The results of Query #2 are:

UCS ID Passenger Count

=========================

257 6892

5 2767

6 382

The user would like to see the results of the merge dimensions utility to show up as one row for each UCS ID, as shown below:

UCS ID UCS NAME Passenger Count

257 Motorola 6892

5 AON Service Corporation 2767

6 Altria Client Services 382

Instead, they get the following (i.e, duplicate row with a null or blank):

UCS ID UCS NAME Passenger Count

257 Motorola

257 6892

5 AON Service Corporation

...................................................................................

5 2767

.................................................................................

6 Altria Client Services

...................................................................................

6 382

Environment details:

BOXIR2,SP2.

Database :SQL server

Thnnks in advance,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreeni,

Thanks for your reply

We have already tried by checking the options Avoid duplicate rows aggregation and show rows with empty but no luck.

Thanks in advance,

swapna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your reply

-We checked that both the merged dimensions are using same data type(varchar).

- Even tried to run both the queries at the database end it retrieves the correct data without any duplicate or null values.

- The issue is mainly when we drag all the dimension and measure objects it either displays a null values for the entire column or displays a combination of duplicate and null values in the table.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check Avoid duplicate rows aggregation and show rows with empty and let me know.

Sreeni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swapna,

The rules for merged dimesions are that must match exactly i.e Same data type, same syntax etc.

One can avoid some of these issues if you use a common dimension table in the universe and both queries use this same dimesion.

To to a test on where you issue is, drag the dimensions in a report one-by-one and see which one is causing a duplicate. Sometimes dimensions can also have spaces i.e when one is of a data type varchar, and the other of char... here you can use the trim function in the report to eliminate any leading or trailing spaces.

Hope this helps

Jacques