Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUI_DOWNLOAD problem converting long numbers to exponents

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello i am using gui download to download to excel and it is converting my 25 digit number to an exponent on my excel. Is there a way around this ? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the format of the field in the excel sheet. Mostly the format of the cell may be set to 'general' which is the default.

Regards,

Pings

Former Member
0 Kudos

well i want to code it in a way where regardless of what format that users have it should not be an exponent.

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not problem of the GUI_DOWNLOAD. Its Excel, which is converting that to exponents.

To avoid this:

You can save the file in .txt

Start the Excel

Open the file from select open dialog

Than there will be a Text to Column wizard.

Here give next .. 2 times..

In the 3rd screen.. select all the columns and select the format "Text"

Press Finish.

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

0 Kudos

sorry but formatting a file is not the problem. I want to download it to excel without the exponents without having to tell the user to go through a bunch of steps to fix that issue.

0 Kudos

In that case there are only two options:

1. Do not use Gui_download, instead use OLE techniques.

2. You can prefix a ' before the number so that excel doesnt do the conversion, but it will show up in the output also. like '10000002344.

0 Kudos

Step by step explaination of preserving the formatting in excel while opening the downloaded file can be found here:

http://help-abap.blogspot.com/2008/09/preserve-downloaded-data-formatting-in.html

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that tip. I haven't tried putting the asterick in the front of it, but i think using another download FM will help. But right now, I just went ahead and instead of using the format 'DAT' I used 'DBF' which ignores the conversions that excel does. So it solved my problem with excel converting my values to an exponent, but the other problem that came about was the column heading was truncated at the space! So i was messing around with the parameters of trunc_spaces = ' ', but still it didn't help.

So basically i just shorten my column headings. 😃