Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying texts from orig. lang. to other language by program

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you make a report you have to write original texts for it. Then if you want offer

this report to users from different coutries you have to translate all texts. But some times

it is not necessary to really translate it but only to copy original texts into translated

texts (so technically the report is "translated" but actually it shows still for example EN

strings). We use it for excample just for IT programs (having only EN strings but they are

displayed in EN,DE,CS languages as well). This copying of original text is usually done by

Goto -> Translation... Selecting target language ...and there by Edit -> Copy source texts

-> All lines.

But when you have objects like DDIC structure or DDIC table, you can have your own data elements

used by the structure and each data element has long, medium, short texts and such. So the copying

of original texts can be time consuming when your structure has for instance 36 your own data elements

(i.e. with your own texts).

Is there some standard report which could do this copying of original texts to translated texts

automatically after giving a name of object which can have texts (DDIC structure, data element,

report, domain and such...)?

Hope my question is clear

2 REPLIES 2

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wrote a program to do exactly this a few years ago for ABAP programs. Just use READ TEXTPOOL and INSERT TEXTPOOL.

Use READ TEXTPOOL with the source and the destination language, to ensure you don't overwrite an translations done manually.

The ABAP help on these should make it clear.

Now let me think about how it works for DBIC. IIRC, the texts for these objects are held in some standard tables. E.g. DD04T for data elements. I don't know if there are function modules or BAPIs to update these. But it seems one of the safer areas to do direct mods to standard SAP tables... if you dare.

matt

franois_henrotte
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in fact in DDIC objects you have also menu Edit / copy source text / All lines

but it would be easy to write a program that would be able to copy texts

(I don't think it exists in standard)