cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 'Accessing Database' and 'Reading Records'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

When I run my reports I notice in the lower left it gives me a status of "Accessing Database" and then it goes to "Reading Records". I was wondering if when it's in "Accessing Database', is that the only time it's connected to the database and the "Reading Records" is all locally processing? I have some reports that take awhile during "Reading Records" and I'm curious to know if it's using up server resources during that time or just my local resources.

Also, I've looked at Performance Information under Report and didn't see anything that indicated how long Crystal was connected to a database. Does anyone know how to get this information? Most of my big reports run off hours but during testing I have to run some during the day and I'm wondering how much I'm impacting the server.

Thanks!

Cyndi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check your user guide for the Multi-pass flowchart. It states what actions are handled during each pass when a Crystal report is generated.

Rule of thumb: If you use any functions in your record selection formula that are specific to Crystal Reports and cannot be passed through to the database then all those records will be pulled and processed on the client rather than on the database side. Keep that in mind when writing the record selection and try to keep things generic enough to be passed through as part of the Show SQL Query.

Rule of thumb: The more sub-reports you have the slower the report generation. Try to never place sub-reports into detail sections of a main report.

Hope this helps ya out!

former_member230846
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cyndi,

If this is specific to Crystal Reports, the database connection will remain open until Crystal Reports is closed. In regards to the Reading Records and Accessing Records, a query is sent to the database server to return the result set. If the connection is sitting idle it should not impact the database performance.

Depending upon how your report is created such as selection formulas, will determine what query will be sent to the database and which records to return. Some times reports are created where the query sent to the database requests to return all records, and once all the records are returned it will then be formatting on the client side, which could slow the performance of the report.

Regards,

Wallie