cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access via 'NULL' object reference not possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am getting a dump when I test my application in web dynpro. The dump message I'm getting is "Access via 'NULL' object reference not possible"

Kindly let me know the reason behind it.

Thanks in Advance

Murli

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Actually this method 'get_attribute_external' is a method called by the system itself. I tried putting a break point in my method, the program never gets processed till my break point. So can u tell me how to put the break point in the method 'get_attribute_external'.

Thanks n Regards.

Murli

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is an SAP Note Number: 1092477 with this error but it seems that it is caused by an error within the application. Check to make sure you have not spelt incorrectly any calls to NODES etc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone the problem is now solved. The problem was with the cardinality of the node.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did try to debug, the source code extract from ST22 says a problem with the method 'get_attribute_external', which I have not used in the code. The method which i have written is never getting executed.

Pls reply..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi murli,

Go thro this link.

Regards...

Arun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The run time error suggests that object reference is not assigned. It says that reference has not been created. But in my code i have created reference for the node (using code wizard).

Will there be a problem bcoz of the view name?(Many webdynpro applications having the same view name).

Or do we need a patch to be intsalled in the server to avoid this error?

Pls reply.. Thanks In advance..

Former Member
0 Kudos

No need to patch or do somethiing... Check things like reference variable declared correctly or not.. or try to debug......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Welcome to SDN.

This null object reference error comes when you have a node or element which is initial or not instantiated.

Put a breakpoint and find out the place of dump.

Regards..

Arun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are probably trying to access a node or element that has not been created or instantiated yet,look at the dump in ST22 in more detail it should tell you the object that is null.

Regards

Carl