cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Characteristic not allowed in compounding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am starting to work on a fresh BI system. Therefore, following the SAP Best Prectices (B03: General Settings..., and others), I wanted to activate IObject Catalog 0CHANOTASSIGNED. I followed the instructions, managed to activate it. However - I have noticed that not some IObjetcs are inactive when I browse them in RSA1 Modelling.

For example, 0MATERIAL is inactive. I have tried to activate it and I got prompted that dependent inactive IObjects exist, and whether I want to activate them. I can't activate 0MATERIAL, because its attributes and hierarchies characteristics are inactive. Subsequently, those cannot be activated as some of their attributes are also inactive.

After some research I have determined two IObjects: 0CM_CTAR and 0CM_SHAR. They are 'last in the line' of inactive objects so to speak. When I try to activate those, I get an error, saying respectively:

Characteristic 0CM_CTAR: Unit 0UNIT_DIM no allowed in compounding

and

Characteristic 0CM_SHAR: Unit 0AREA_UNIT no allowed in compounding

I have tried to find some information on a solution to this problem, unfortunately couldn't find any.

Could anyone point me to some helfpul information? How can this be resolved?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Alek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

upgrade to SP 18 or apply note 1139547.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aleksander Dyl ,

I faced this kind of problem when i freshly implemented BI. What i have done is, I removed the compounding units, then activated the Objects . So, after that, I activated 0Material. Then i changed the 0CM_CTAR back to normal.

Lets try this solution.

-Sonti-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also deleted the compounding objects and then activated 0Material. I'll now create new infoobjects as has been done by Cas. This is the solution that was given by SAP help. Will it matter if i don't add these back as compounding objects?

Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

I didn't know the cases where these objects are used. In my case, I left them untouched after changing. But best practise is to set them back.

-Sonti-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sameer,

I think that it will only matter in the reporting if the end user needs to see the different kinds of Units e.g. EA, KG, TON etc. In my case, it does matter.

Cas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Isn't this funny. I experienced the same thing. My workaround was to create another characteristic that is the same as 0UNIT_DIM & 0AREA_UNIT and replaced the originals. Activation went through fine.

Hope this helps.

Cas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we use compounding when the individual values of the char will not be completely meaningful or unique .

Take an example:

Suppose A company has many branches, and Employee codes are unique to branches only.

ie

Branch A can have E001 and E002

Branch B can have E001 and E002

here if u refer to E001 employee then there is now way u can know which employee u r refering. So here Branch is compounded with Employee. so, when u r refering to Branch A, E001 employee it is now clear to which employee u r refering.

Go to RSD1 go to your infoobject to which you want to compound.

Go to Compounding tab.

Insert your infoobject by which you want to compound.

Hope this helps.

Lakshmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

Did Aleksander Dyl asked about the Compounding ? Or did he wants solution for the problem ?

-Sonti-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alexander,

I'm also having the same problem. I'm also working on a fresh BI system with patch 16 and trying to activate 0Material. Were you able to resolve this issue? If so, can you please share it with everyone.

If anyone else has a solution, please let us know.

Regards,

Sameer