cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using of extra key figure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

If I need to use one key figure for the begining of the period and one for the end of period. I can use one key figure with different characteristic of version, but I cant change the value of version in my parametrs, does that mean that I need new cons area? Can you tell me the posibility to use the extra key figure, for example one for the begining of period and extra for the end of period.

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eugene I'm appreciate your help, tnx.

Actually what the problem is:

Existing method of data warehousing which is configured on BW 7.0 now is not what the customers whanted to see. The reports are fine. But the way of loading data by info-packages is little bit difficult as they thought about it and there is no posibility to monitor the data beside the way of loading report. But customers like the interface of cons mon. So the BCS provide not only functions of consolidation but the simple flexible upload for data with all monitoring functionts. So thats why I'm trying to do this. And I know that is rather strange than wrong. So tell me please any suggestions about that "business-scenario".

Thanks a lot anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Andrew, I'm almost sure that in your business scenario it is a talk of uploading:

- beginning balance

- activities (turnovers)

- ending balances.

If I'm right, then it's not prudent to use such a scheme. Imagine, that a user made a mistake and

end.bal .NE. beg.bal + activities

or

ending balance entered in the previous period .NE. beginning balance of the current period...

How will you verify the data? Which one is correct?

As I said, it'll be a mess with data and periods.

Edited by: Eugene Khusainov on Sep 29, 2008 11:23 AM

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I concur with Eugene, but there is anothe possibility via reporting.

You can get the opening balance for period X by requesting the data for periods 0 through X-1.

The activity for period X is simply requesting the period X data only.

The ending balance is simply the periods 0 through X.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep, Dan is right.

What I wanted to say is the following:

SEM-BCS works with turnovers only. One time you may need to enter beginning balances. All other balances are simply calculated and there is no need to enter the balances. You work ONLY with activities/turnovers. Balances that are entered manually (except of the 1st time) - are always the possible source of discrepancy with data calculated (according to previously entered activities).

Avoid redundant and prone to be erroneous data entries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to adjust flexible upload. So I wanted to load a balance sheet data with two KFs one for the begin of period and one for the end of period. When I'm try to use movement type I have an error message: Invalid breakdown of Item by Movement Type.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I see.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that for me it doesn't look as a good decision. One more KF for which currency? Local?

Another one for GC? Or even TC?

It will be a mess with data and periods.

I'd prefer to load data in different periods.

About your error with MoveType... Maybe you didn't provide the value for it?

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Eugene mentioned, if you would kindly mention the business scenario we may be able to provide more helpful information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Theoretically (never tried it yet), it's possible to use another key figures by means of external KF catalog (see here the description):

But what the business need to have such KF?

Is movement type not enough?