Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master/slave query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I have a scenario

If both master and slave have designated DB, as client spec,would they need 2 MDM servers too,

If only one MDM server can be shared by both Master and slave ,is it going to affect performance.

Pl reply in detail,

Thanks for quick help in advance.

Amol

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Master and Slave Repository are used as a back up strategy in MDM,When you want to transport your repository from development to quality and from quality to production,you can use this concept it is alos used in cases where you make changes in one repositor and may want to revert these changes later or else updtae them.In such instance you make use of teh master /slave rep.

In Master and Slave repository,Slave repository can be on any MDM server,Different location,Different OS or even differnt Data bases.

You can have your Master and Slave repository on Same MDM server and Even Differnt if required.

Here you need to understand that the Slaves know the master location but the Master do not know the Slaves locations so Slaves can be moved but not masters.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi simona

Thanks for ur inputs

True that both can have only one MDM server,

Mu query is whether it would impact the performance,while retriving data simultaneosly.

Hope u got my query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

The Slave Repository is only a READ ONLY copy of the master,all the changes are made in the master and the slaves are then synchronised to it.

So data will be retrieved from the master and the slave can be used just for viewing this data or taking backups.

Benefits to a single-server landscape include:

u2022 Requires only a single machine and a single copy of MDM software.

u2022 Allows you to u201Cpublishu201D master data updates on your schedule.

If Hardware is not a constraint ,keeping Master and Slave repository on different DBMS server but same MDM server is the recommented way for better performance.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amole,

If your issue is solved kindly update the thread status.

Regrads,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amole,

Please refer the below link, SAP has already provided an explanation for your query

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/8e/9f9c427055c66ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

go to Repository Administration -> Maintaining Master and Slave Repositories -> Master/Slave Landscape

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

I have one query regarding Master-Slave performance. We ar on SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0. If we want to create one Slave Repository on same server where Master Repository is there, how much extra resources required? Do we need additional hardware so that performance of MDM server will not impact. How ablout one Master and Two Slave Repositories on single MDM server?

Thanks,

Anshuk Saxena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

The performance factor in Master/Slave repository only achieved by putting all repository on different server.

If you put all repositories on same server then in that case you would not achieve performance but what you achieve is fast synchroization b/w master and slave.

@anshuk:I dont think there is any benefit of maintaing all repositoryies on same server .

Reason

1.This concept basically introduced for multiple servers.Like we have main server and for each different region you can maintain each slave repositories.

2.If you maintain all repositories on one server then all repositories load on same server and it increases chances of server down and in this case you would not access any one repository.

Atleast i prefer Master on one server and slave on another if we donot want to maintain multiple server.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshuk,

You can have multiple repositories running on one MDM server without affecting the performance if you have the system configuration according to the MDM sizing guide. In case of SRM-MDM Catalog I dont see any performance issues running Master-Slave configuration.

Sudhanshu,

In SRM-MDM Catalog, Master-Slave configuration is used to minimize the downtime since we make Slave repository accessible for catalog management hence if any repository schema changes are required then instead of making repository down till the time changes have been made (in case of single repository) we simply make changes into the Master repository and use synchronize slave command to reflect changes into Slave. In Master-Slave, considerable amount of downtime can be saved.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Ya, you are right that basic motive behind Master/Slave implementation is high availability of MDM repository all time.

Just for more info i want say that this not only some repository changes this is also for import process,synchronization process.

Basically it works always like :

If you mention master ans slave repositories in spro setting then always catalog will first check the slaves and if no slaves is available then only it moves to master so that user can schedule import process any time.

Same in synchronization is salve is down then it moves to master.

If user is already in slave and synchronization started in between then also there is a functionality that switch the user to another slave or master.

I was supposing "performance" in terms of MDM core not catalog.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amole,

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages

Master-Slave on same server

Advantages

1. Only one MDM Server needs to be installed.

Disadvantages

1. If MDM Server crash then you may loose both the repositories.

Master-Slave on different servers

Advantages

1. Highly reliable i.e. if one server crashes then another will be available and can take over the work of master repository.

Disadvantages

1. Two MDM Servers needs to be installed.

2. Synchronizing slave may take some time since the repository is on different server.

I dont thing any of the configuration will affect the Performance. But its better to go for first one. Since Slave is a readonly copy hence we never access both Master and Slave simultaneously.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja