Did you mean: 

UoM Explained

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone can explain to me the difference between:

Items per purchase unit

and

Items per packaging UoM

Say for a case of 6 boxes of 24 items you would simply do 6*24 = 144 and enter it in Items per purchase unit. But the second measure confuses me and doesn't seem to be useful.

When receiving a single purchase UoM with the above settings it would add 144 to the inventory. It seems to Items per packaging UoM is for reference only.

Can someone explain this one to me?

M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

here is a brief explanation for Items per purchase unit

Enter the unit of measurement and the item quantity per purchase unit.

You buy a case of soft drinks. There are six bottles (items per purchase unit) in one case. The item that you buy is a bottle but you purchase it only as a case of six bottles. Therefore, the unit of measurement is a case and there are six items per purchase unit. If you buy five cases, you actually buy 30 bottles of the soft drink.

In all transactions, "case" is the purchasing unit. And the number of items per purchasing unit is six.

You then enter the quantity in purchasing units in the purchase order.

and for Items per packaging UoM:

Enter the purchasing packaging unit, which is a multiple of the unit of measurement. In addition, you define the quantity per packaging unit.

You buy containers of soft drink cases, and the container is the purchasing packaging unit. Each container consists of 10 cases, which means that "10" is the quantity per packaging unit.

let me know if you need more detail

Rgds,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Your example is a perfect case to use both UoMs:

Box is your Purchase UoM with quantity of 24.

Case is your Packaging UoM with quantity of 6.

If your decide to use the result 144 items as a Purchase UoM base, then you have to buy the minimum of one case.

Thanks,

Gordon